1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do yourself a favor and watch this again...Jon Stewart post-9/11 (the only copy)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SuperflySnuka, Jun 23, 2007.

1. After opening the greatest videos on youtube thread, then searching for two hours to find this video, I finally found it.

Now I'm crying.

You will, too.

Jon Stewart's post-9/11 monologue on The Daily Show.

http://www.livevideo.com/video/423A3D79844544E9998482272C2AAE57/tds-jon-stewart-s-post-9-11-speech.aspx

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Jesus H. Christ, I'd never seen that until now.

Thanks.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Stewart has never really rung true for me. I understand he has talent and is sometimes damn funny, but to me he's a comedian, not a political commentator whose word should be held up as the place to learn from. That said, maybe that speech was better than the canned ones because it was raw and stream of consciousness.

But I can't help but look at many of these post-9/11 emotions through a sad, jaundiced eye now, considering that we wasted little time in starting to be pricks to one another all over again.

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Yup. And so would a lot of people.

I'd rather listen to Metallica than Mozart.

Entertainment is highly valued. I just feel that some people mistakenly see Stewart as their main source for news. He's an entertainer, who made a good stream of consciousness emotional speech here.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The country's so large, so diverse (in every imaginable way) that there are precious few things that can truly unite us, that virtually everyone can agree on -- and almost all of those things are unspeakably tragic. The feeling of unity following 9/11 could never last. Iraq certainly exacerbated the divisions, but they would have inevitably returned in due time.

6. "I want to tell you why I grieve (pause, voice crack) and why I don't despair."
    Wow.

7. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

It's sad that Jon is the only one that gets it. He blasted Tucker Carlson, he spotlights hypocrisy and asks tough questions.

If "real" TV anchors did the same, there actually might be some accountability.

The fact that W and Cheney claim their records don't fall under presidential records laws is indefensible. There is no oversight by the fourth estate and Jon does an excellent job of contrasting that with the public's fascination with Anna Nicole and Paris.

Jon is made for cable. The corporate powers that be at NBC would stifle and castrate his creativity.

8. chester

chester Member

I was almost fine until he got to the part near the end where he talked about his view now being of the Statue of Liberty. For some reason, that's where I lost it.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

that was tremendous -- including the "statue of liberty" ending.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Made it through it, but not sure how. Great stuff, and the best part is remembering how hard it was to talk about things then. He's got about 90 seconds of copy there, and it takes him nine minutes because that was a time when you just couldn't talk about that -- let alone to a nation -- for too long and keep yourself composed. I like him so much, but to see him in a situation like this is simply impressive.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Same here [grabbing for Kleenex right now].

Has it really been almost 6 years? Wow.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Re: Do yourself a favor and watch this again...Jon Stewart post-9/11 (the only c

That's as much a sad commentary on the state of television news -- and the struggles of the entire journalism community -- as it an indictment of the people who watch Stewart for "news." Probably even more so.

Draft saved Draft deleted