1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Your Recline Your Seat On Airplane?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jul 31, 2007.

?

If there is person sitting behind you do you still recline your seat?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I like to wait until the person begins to fall asleep for this particular move.

Generally, it depends. If I'm on a red-eye, I'll give you a heads up, but my seat is going to go back. In other situations, I'll refrain as long as the person in front of me doesn't recline.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I try to fly JetBlue 100 percent of the time. When you have a tv in front of you, you tend not to recline.

If the flight is more than an hour or two, you should be able to recline without someone getting ticked. If it is a 30-45 minute puddle jump, then you should keep it upright.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Had an 11-hour flight last month and the fucker in front of me reclined his seat all the way back as soon as we took off and left it that way the whole trip. He didn't sleep much though. I couldn't help but slam violently into the seat every time I got up and sat down. Which was at least once an hour.

Plus I found it necessary to raise and lower my tray table quite a bit and, wouldn't you know it, the pesky thing just wouldn't latch and unlatch properly so I had to jerk it back and forth quite a bit.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I only recline if there is nobody behind me. It is inconsiderate otherwise. The biggest problem is that you can't do *anything* when the person in front of you is reclined. Can't open your laptop. Can't comfortably read your book/etc. Have to worry about your drink ending up in your lap. It's a selfish move.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thank you, Boom. Holy fuck, do I hate recliners on planes. As if we didn't have enough probs on our flight to Cleveland Albany fucking Newark ... 8) ::)

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Like others, I don't do it because it is inconsiderate.

I use the Newspaper Scalp Massage if someone does it in front of me.

Just another reason why I hate flying.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Apparently, airplanes are a regular petri dish for experiments on passive agressiveness. Maybe someone at Harvard can get a research grant and fund a charter back from the World Series for us this year?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And, yes, if you're wondering, we did fly into Newark as a substitute for Albany (then drove up). Don't try that at home, kids. Sheesh.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ugh.

Boston might have been closer than Newark. Binghamton or Syracuse may have worked as well.

What did you drive? Four hours? Five?

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

3 hours (yes, i'm that good 8).) Had to make it to Cooperstown, and with our flight to Albany delayed a day and all flts to closer locales overbooked or unavailable, we got the best one we could.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It really depends on what mood I'm in or what I'm doing. If I'm reading a book or watching a movie/television it is unlikely that I will recline the seat. If I'm on a long flight and looking to get some sleep, I will absolutely do so.

I'm a tall person and people never really seem to have a problem leaning their seat back in front of me and I am not put in any more of an awkward position than previously.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted