1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do your parents still buy you Christmas gifts?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

When your parents are dead you'll wish for a call, a present, a "little something." Be appreciative.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My dad is dead.

I am appreciative.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Really what it comes down to is I feel like gifts at Christmas are for the kids, not me.

Apparently, reading this thread, that sentiment makes me a major league asshole.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hopefully no one else had their Christmas ruined by a gift-giving parent.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It makes you somewhat unaware that not every family dynamic is the same.

The ages of the people at our holiday gathering/gift exchange this year were 86, 78, 58, 52 (me), 42 and 41.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Generosity or kindness does not have a "sell by" date. If someone enjoys (and can afford) giving a gift to parents, children, siblings, etc., and doesn't expect anything in return, then where is the harm?

I still send my parents a Christmas present every year, and they do likewise for me and my family.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's that you seem to take great offense to something innocuous that makes your mom happy.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My parents go overboard on Christmas. I tell them not to. They do it anyway. They buy a bunch of stuff they don't need to for my fiance as well. When I told my mom that the excessive gift giving is unnecessary she said "you'll have kids soon, then I'll be buying them presents, not you."

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Perhaps feeling bad if someone got you a gift and he or she wasn't on your Christmas shopping list, or even on the radar screen for being on the shopping list?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No, it doesn't... But when it comes to dealing with your parents, you really have to choose your battles. Is there anything about this issues that is important enough to get into an argument or a fight with an elderly parent? Sometimes you also have to measure intent as well. It sounds like your mom means well, even if it might be misguided. If it makes her happy, let her be happy. I doubt her giving you a gift means your kids will be shortchanged.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Dropping the trolling for a moment, has it occurred to you that we always will be children to our parents? I don't mean that in the condescending sense. We literally are the children of our parents.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This has become the anti-holiday cheer thread!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.