1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do your parents still buy you Christmas gifts?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I want my mom to stop. I don't want more stuff. Don't need more stuff. She's afraid people will be "mad" at her for not giving. (She still apologizes if my brother or I get a different number of boxes than the other.)

I love my mother. But how do I have "the talk" with her? Or do I, if this makes her happy?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just let it go. If it makes her happy let her do it.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Holy *** oh never mind, I'll just answer even if it seems obvious.

This is your mother. If it makes her happy, leave it be and deal with it. As long as she can afford it, smile and say thanks. If she's doing without food or heat because of it, maybe step in.

That said, I was in a similar position 21 years ago. I'd told my mom to forget about me, concentrate on her many grandkids and have her fun that way. That year my gift was a big turkey platter. They cost 9.99 at Bed, Bath and Beyond now so I'm guessing 4.99 then? I'm smiling and saying thanks and thinking, "If I've become so hard to buy for that this is what I'm getting, maybe it is time to have the talk."

Glad I didn't. Because she died. That was the last gift I got from her and it has lasted longer than pretty much anything I own. I cherish it as much or more than anything I own. And I use it plenty, daggone thing does come in handy.

I got my son one this year.

4. Dick Whitman

Moddy, if it simply made her happy, I'd forever hold my peace. My concern is that she does it out of raging insecurity.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dick, you just need to drink more during the holidays. Everything will be OK.

Think of the hurt she will feel if you say "I don't like what you give me and I haven't for years."

6. Mizzougrad96

How insecure would she feel if she didn't get you anything? Sometimes it's hard to admit when your parents become "old people" but it's usually a good idea to just humor them as long as they're not hurting anyone.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Deep thoughts.

8. Dick Whitman

Here's the thing, and it's almost comical. She can't get me anything I don't like - because she demands a detailed Christmas List.

This is, I recognize, the consummate first-world problem. Just curious if others shared it.

9. Mizzougrad96

I don't talk to my real father. He's a dick who treats everyone like shit. My sister humors him. I stopped humoring him five years ago when I threw him out of my house for being an asshole to my wife. We've spoken a couple times since, but I haven't seen him since. It's no great loss.

But it does remind me that while my mom does things that sometimes annoy me, I just humor her, because I know she does what she does out of love.

10. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

My mom is amazing and no matter how many times I tell her that just being with her is enough of a gift she keeps bringing it year after year( my dad died 22 years ago and some how my mom gutted it out, amazing woman). More than a few years ago she started getting my brother and me gift cards to a great hotel in a different city each year. My wife and I and my brother and his wife now "have to" go and have a great weekend each year. The hotels are always close enough to drive to and I must say I would be disappointed if mom stopped getting us her gift. But just being with my mom is still the best gift I receive on any Christmas.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's a pretty cool gift idea.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My parents still buy me gifts and have tendencies to go way overboard at that. I don't need anything and don't really ask for anything. But I don't care one way or the other, either. Like others have said, it makes them happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.