1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you want to write a book?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hank_Scorpio, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'm sure there are plenty on the board that have written one.

But to those that haven't yet, do you want to? Would you want to write a fiction or non-fiction? How would you choose the subject?

I figure it's every writers dream to write some sort of book, but how many really want to.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh god yes. Nonfiction, of course. Not hard to figure out what subject, I guess. :) ... Just gotta narrow down the scope. And, you know, actually write it.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Funny, I was just talking about this with a friend of mine the other night. She remembered how I'd always seem to be writing short stories in class in high school, when I wasn't paying attention to the teacher, and as I was telling her a story over the phone she said to me, "You should write a book! Would you? You should, you're so creative."

Damn right I would write a book. If I had the time and the energy, it'd be a fiction work about a situation I know, probably about collection of people somehow linked together. Names would be changed, however. :D

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Yes, fiction. Or a Simpsons episode. I've been working on one of those for years.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Without a doubt. I have three ideas bouncing around my skull, two nonfiction and the other fictional.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Absolutely.

Like Hockeybeat, I've had characters rattling around in my head for years. That's not the problem.

The problem is putting those characters in a working plot that would, well, you know, actually work.

Also thought about a non-fiction book on HS football. One of those things I should have done when I was single and in my 20s. Life circumstances prevent me from doing it today.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I would like to write both.

My life story would be worthy of a book if it only had a happy ending.

Other than that, I have some major ideas for fiction books floating around up there. I am just too ADHD and ADD to sit down long enough to punch an idea out.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I have 7 or 8 book ideas in mind, if I'd ever take the plunge.

My best friend and I wrote most of a book then didn't finish, and 10 years later we're still wondering why. It was going to be an episode guide to "Married with Children." When we traveled across America following the Grateful Dead in parts of '94 and '95, we'd watch up to 10 episodes a day (yes, we taped them) and chart all of the unique characteristics of the show. We came up with a cool format, and got through 120 epsidoes. And then we just stopped. I mean, we have most of what we need to send to a publisher to see if there's interest, yet still haven't taken that plunge.

I'd like to write a book about the 1999-2000 Bellows Falls boys basketball team winning a Vermont state title. I'd like to write one about my 6 months in Jamaica. I want to do a sports photography book with assorted writings and poetic musings and such.

So to answer the question in the thread title: yes.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I am about four chapters into my first and hopefully not last.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Have an "as told to" deal on the way . . . sit down with the man, mine the ore for a couple of key chapters, work them up, and go shopping . . .

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

[​IMG]

What about a book about a Chicago White Sox third baseman in the late teens and early twenties. Banned for life by Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis for his alledged involvement in the 1919 World Series fix even though his statistics say otherwise? Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nah, who would ever wanna read about that? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted