1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Want To Be Like Jason?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FreddiePatek, May 18, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Give him 90 days and he'll be covering sports at a major daily.

Most of us read that dreck and felt embarrassed for the kid, but SEs across the country just found a minority who wants a sportswriting job...

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i sure as hell hope not. if anything, it should knock him down a peg or two on the AP ladder.
    I get that his column is about race and all. but if you write like shit, it shouldn't matter what color you are.
    how the hell did he get a job at the AP?

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't understand what that is....sounds like a cover letter for a resume, like he meant to file a story and sent the wrong file.

What is this supposed to be?

4. Mizzougrad96

Do you really want an answer to that?

5. Mizzougrad96

Can we all get our cover letters sent out over the AP wire?

6. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

How can you have a conversation about great black journalists and not mention Ralph Wiley? How can you expect to be taken seriously? How can someone at AP read this and not send it back? Someone explain this to me as I harrumph incessantly.

Fuck, this shit is so frustrating. This guy bitches about how he has few opportunities because he's black, but then markets it like an upgrade. Why can't it just be about your talent, your work ethic and your character? I've grown up with this shit most of my life. There are special groups that work to forge special opportunities for everybody except white males. Then people turn around and bitch about not having a pleasing palate in the workplace.

Maybe if people would stop bitching about how bad they have it, stop looking for handouts and special treatment they would excel past their self-imposed glass ceiling.

Shit, my mother's great great grandfather came to the U.S. from Germany in World War I, alone, seven years old, with $5 in his pocket. His folks sent him over here because they didn't want him to have to register with the Kaiser's army.

My dad's great great grandparents sold everything they had to afford a boat ticket from Ireland.

Where was their handout?

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I know it wasn't talent...

Really. Highland Community College? Makes you more well-versed to talk to T.O.?

This is coming from a guy who played college baseball. It's only helpful if your own delusions tell you it is.

I'm trying not to be mean to this guy. But fuck...

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I read it and thought "He's 26 and has worked at AP for three years!?!" If Landrum really wants to be a sports writer, he could make it happen with that resume'. So why hasn't he?

9. here you go again, mizzou... damn it... don't let your personal job frustrations cloud your desire to be fair. don't become angry. things will work out.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Good God...

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Seriously, there has to be something more to this....it's either a joke or a mistake.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

What the hell kind of sentence structure is this? In my mind, "stirred" is a single-action verb. To have something "kept stirred" makes no sense. Does this kid have an editor?

Aside from that, there was nothing new in this column. Not a new story, not a new insight, not a new angle.

Sometimes the first-person approach is relevant, but this crosses the line into the "me journalism" that I hate.

Draft saved Draft deleted