1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you tip the wedding DJ?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Brookerton, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

Simple question. After paying a few hundred dollars for a wedding DJ, do you still tip him at the end of the night if he does a good job? Or is the money you are paying for a DJ enough?
    And if you do tip him, how much? $20-50?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. 50.

3. boots

boots New Member

It depends. IF the DJ did a great job, slipping a C-note ($100) would be cool.
    If he was awful, you help him find the nearest exit out the joint. No tip.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Before my wedding, I told the DJ that if he stuck to the playlist we gave him and ignored my idiot uncle who likes to do the Electric Slide at all the receptions, that we would make it worth his while...

If memory serves, I gave him $100.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ya know, all this tipping crap is way out of hand, especially with weddings.

Why are we tipping people who make a good wage just for doing their jobs. The DJ is paid to spin music. You even supplied him with a playlist. All he did was stand there and put CDs in the machine and occasionally ask for everyone's attention. What did he do that was worth tipping? He didn't even come up with his own playlist for crying out loud!

At my sister's wedding, the limo driver literally almost got the groom and all the groomsmen killed when he pulled us out in front of a semi, which had to slam on its brakes. Later, my father tipped him a significant amount -- my Dad's no cheapskate when it comes to tipping, though he is most of the rest of the time -- and the guy looked him square in the face and said, "That's not enough." My dad gave him an extra $100 and told him to screw.

I couldn't believe that A) the guy did that, especially when he nearly got us killed and B) My Dad actually forked over another $100 instead of telling him to get the fuck out of Dodge or we'd kick the crap out of him and take the initial tip back.

Waitresses deserve a tip. I'll tip the bartender so he keep my drinks strong and gives 'em to me fast. I'll give a tip to valet so he doesn't wreck my car. I'll tip a bus boy if I don't feel like lugging a bunch of heavy-ass shit up to my room. Beyond that? There's a pretty good chance you're not getting tipped.

Of course, I know that on the slim chance someone will ever put up with me long enough to marry me when I find the right girl to marry me, I'll probably pony up for all these fuckheads. [/rant]

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Quote buy print.

Here's a tip -- hey DJ, keep playing that song. OR, get a real job, you burnout hippie!

7. Mizzougrad96

I've been at weddings where DJs have pretty much ruined the reception by playing the wrong kind of music. I would rather have a DJ who plays all the cliche stuff like Chicken Dance, Shout, Rock Lobster, etc... than one who thinks he should decide what kind of music he should play regardless of what the bride/groom or the guests want...

My wife and I met with the DJ and had him give us a playlist of what he plays at weddings. We crossed a couple off and made a couple additions. We had instructions about what was to be played at specific times (First dance, dad-daughter dance, son-mom dance, wedding party dance, bouquet toss, garter toss and last dance) and then we told him essentially not to play any requests from a specific uncle or my brother-in-law (a hardcore rap aficionado)...

The guy did a great job and completely earned the tip...

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

is the d.j. self-employed? meaning, you directly hire him? then, no tip.

if he works for a d.j. company you're paying, then you tip. the amount depends upon your satisfaction. you meet with him before, supply a list of songs or the type of music/era you want emphasized, and there should be no issues.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The people who don't tip DJ's at weddings are probably the same ones who have a cash bar.

10. Mizzougrad96

I was at a wedding recently where the younger brother slipped the DJ a 20 to play "99 Problems..."

Great song, but not exactly wedding appropriate...

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My next wedding I'm going to tip the DJ to play Closer by Nine Inch Nails from the start of the chorus for the first dance. That'll be a well-earned Washington, my friend.

12. Mizzougrad96

See how much it would cost for him to play 2 Live Crew's "C'mon Babe"

Draft saved Draft deleted