1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you subscribe?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lollygaggers, Nov 29, 2008.

1. accguy

accguy Member

I subscribe at the employee discount. Sometimes I read it, other times I don't.

I feel like it's something I should do. And it's nice to get it on days you don't work or work later in the day.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It's a symbolic gesture. It's hard for me to make the case that other people should subscribe to my paper when it isn't worth a dollar a week for me. And if I can't make the case that other people should subscribe to my paper ... then what's the damn point? We deserve to go out of business.

And if money really is that big an issue ... I guaran-damn-tee you save more than $1 a week on the Sunday coupons. In fact, I probably save, on average, $20 bucks a month with them.

That's $240 a year ... which means my paper basically pays me $190 to take the paper. The money argument doesn't hold.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Good for you. I'm the same way. They act as if it's important employees subscribe to help the circulation numbers. Screw that. That's your problem. Nobody in circulation is helping out anybody in sports. The minute somebody in another department helps somebody in sports I may change my tune.

4. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Agreed.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I just don't buy the symbolic gesture thing. Not when there have been so many examples of management making it tougher for people in sports to simply do their jobs. I can't in good faith donate that much money back to the company for a newspaper I can read WHILE I'M DOING MY JOB.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I lean toward your argument, Some Guy. But employers shouldn't make it mandatory or hold it over your head. And at one old shop of mine, married folks who both worked there both had to have the subscription deduction. Ridiculous.

7. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Good lord. I would never hire you.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If you want to not subscribe in "protest," I guess I can respect that. Most people, however, are just being "cheap."

As a protest, in a small way, it smacks of cutting of your nose to spite your face.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I agree that employers should not make it mandatory ... I think that would probably be illegal, anyway. However, I do recall being called into the editor's office early in my tenure and gently urged that, hey (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), it might be a good idea to subscribe, for most of the reasons mentioned above.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you hire him? If an employee is required to have knowledge of events in order to do their work, shouldn't the company provide the tools for that knowledge?

To me, it would be like a hospital making its nurses purchase their own bedpans for the patients.

11. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Probably because I've worked with people like he describes. Always bitching about what the paper owes you and doing things or not doing things out of principal or protest. I've worked for small salaries for papers and managers I've absolutely detested but I've always subscribed, even though I can read it online or take a paper at work.

The principle is what Someguy described. If you're producing a product that you won't pay for, then why are you there? What can you do to make it better? If you're not thinking like that then you probably need to get out.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

should reporters also pay for their pens and notebooks?

Draft saved Draft deleted