1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you remember your dreams?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Mar 10, 2011.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A few times. Once was a dream about my family dying in an accident, one was about when my grandpa died.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

oh my god you mean the stuffed jalapeno Angus Whopper appeared to you seven years ago in a dream?

My advice is to heavily quit drinking.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

When I was younger, I would wake up screaming sometimes. My whole family would rush into my room expecting a burglar or something, but after a while it became more of a chore for them I guess to snap me out of it. Usually I'd claim there were bugs in my bed or something. I would never remember it happening though - they'd make fun of me the next morning with wild tales of finding me standing on my dresser screaming about wasps and pointing at my bed. I'm not totally convinced that it wasn't some family conspiracy...

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had a dream I was sh#tting, only to wake up and ...
    uh oh.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I had a serious Tetris addiction for a few months back in college. It was so bad that I was playing it in my dreams.

I have lots of school dreams, though it is usually a mash-up of the different schools I attended. A high school teacher in a college classroom. That kind of thing. I'm always late, unprepared or both -- two things I really hated when I was in school.

I also tend to dream about a girl with long, dark hair. I'm fairly certain it is the grown-up version of my first crush (I was seven and she was eight), which would account for why I never see her face in the dreams.

6. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I remember the really bizarre ones. Driving in a transparent car. Flying over the Grand Canyon on the back of an enormous eagle. Re-enacting the "Malkovich-Malkovich-Malkovich-Malkovich" scene in "Being John Malkovich," except my face is everywhere.

The worst one I had was a waking dream when I was in the middle of a 105-degree fever. This little airplane kept flying around the room, running into my wall smashing in the nosecone, reversing, uncrumpling the nosecone and proceeding to fly around some more. That was a head trip.

If I don't write it down after I wake up, it's gone. Hence I keep a notepad on my nightstand. I've got a little dream journal where I catalog all of this dream theater.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The dreams I remember most often are the fucked-up ones, in the sense that they're as close to nightmares as I get. It's nothing terribly scary if I describe it, but in the dream, it's freaky. I have a vivid memory of waking up when I was younger from a dream involving a witch-type woman levitating off the floor.

I still have similar dreams - not so much in content, although it's usually something sort of paranormal - but in the sense that I get the same feeling in them. Something always happens in the dream that tips me off that I'm dreaming, at which point I wake up. The levitating woman, for instance. At that point, it was clear to me that I was in a dream and I woke up. Did that make sense? It's the best description I can think of.

On another note, my best friend has tried several times to quit smoking using the patch. He says the patch gives him incredibly vivid dreams.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Those near-death dreams are absolutely terrifying, because they seem so real.
    Had one a while back where the wife and I were driving down the interstate. We're coming around a bend in the road, driving in the left lane, and the car drifts onto the shoulder. The tires catch the grass, we spin around and onto the other side of the interstate. We end up facing the "right" way, but I look up in the rearview mirror and see a tractor trailer bearing down on us and I know this is it.
    We're going to die.
    I throw my right arm over my wife, tell her I love her and then the truck hits us. I wake up just as everything turns white and all the sound disappears from the world.

It absolutely scared the shit out of me and still does just thinking about it.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I am jealous of your dream content. That's a pretty solid trifecta right there.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Following up that last post, had another vivid dream this morning that was less violent.
    I dreamed me, the wife and a couple relatives decided to take a weekend trip to Hawaii. We get to the airport and we're running behind. I go to the ticket counter to do something, come back and everyone is asleep on a bench.
    It's 3:10 and our flight leaves at 3:20 on something called CGI or GGI Airlines. Our gate assignment is Gate 8 and we're at Gate 31. We spend a few minutes running through the airport -- futilely, of course -- before finding a bus that an employee says will take us to our gate. It's driven by an old black man in a chauffeur's outfit (hat and everything), and he takes us on this ridiculously circuitous route. We end up leaving the airport property altogether and come to a side street that dead ends at a gully (although a main road was just across the gully).
    I made a "Driving Miss Daisy" quote about the driver as he offered some lame apology, then I realized we weren't going to get to go to Hawaii. Our flight was the last one of the day, and it was such a long trip that going the next day wasn't really an option.
    That really bummed me out because I'd never been and thought I never would get a chance to go again.

Then I woke up. What the hell was that all about?

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Dream I had last night was incredibly strange.

I was at St. Andrews for some reason, in the area on what I'm thinking was supposed to be a mission trip with youth and other people from my church. We're staying at a hotel right on the course, except there's no golf being played.

Instead, a drag racing event is taking place on one of the fairways -- or maybe it was the cart path, I can't remember. Anywho, one of the cars catches fire during a run. Instead of stopping and getting out of the car, the driver heads straight for a pool outside the hotel. Dude crashes into the pool and is stuck in his car. Me and one of the youth members and some other adults have to pull him out of the car, which explodes a minute or so later.

That's the last thing I remember because I woke up shortly after the explosion.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I am quite the dreamer, and, like some remember them vividly if I lay there and think about them. If I do anything else, I can't remember them for the life of me.

I have very vivid dreams, and again, like some, have deja vus all the time (those "holy shit" moments).

I have had several dreams where I've died and knew it. Two were from tornadoes, one was from a nuclear war, and one the stove blew up when me and my (deceased) father were sitting at one of those 1950s kitchen tables.

I often go online to try to interpret my dreams. I have many dreams about losing my teeth, and there are answers for those.

But what I'm stumped about, and can't find any answers/interpretations for, are dreams where I have to go pee. Even when I'm in a house, with real rooms, even a real bathroom, there is only a hole in the floor to pee in.

Drives me nuts trying to interpret THOSE ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted