1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you really want to know about this paper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by murphyc, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

oh, it won't happen, murph. but you will feel better walking away.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Kudos on the new gig. I was in a similar situation this summer, but over the phone about my former position. I felt it was best to just be honest. Every job (hopefully) has its goods and bads, and for the younger writers especially, it's nice if they can dabble in multiple areas. Plus, jobs in our field can be hard to find. If there's one available that fits you, take it.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I agree with Mizzou ... And ...
    Why, if I'm in management, would I want a departed employee showing the new employee around?
    And if I'm the departing employee, why would I give two shits?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If you're the departing employee, you do so because it's a nice gesture and because you're not a douchebag.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Drip, I forgot to do that. Oops. ;D
    Mark, to me it doesn't matter much if I like the person or not. If I were new to an office, I would want to be brought up to speed on what I need to do, key people and what they're like, etc. That's how I would want to be treated and thus that's how I treated my replacement. I'm letting her figure things out, though she seems to be the type that needs to be told things multiple times.
    BDC, I'm not sure how much the boss told her. She hasn't been working for a couple of years and doesn't have newspaper experience outside of theater reviews for a weekly.
    I set her up pretty well for the week. She has enough stories for the week, I introduced her to key people around town, I gave her copies of past stories and samples of things (community calendar, briefs, etc.) she will be doing on a weekly basis. I also gave her contact info. for the interns and freelancers I used.
    fish, see Ryan's response. I was the original editor when we started the paper four years ago. Not to brag at all, but many people have told me I am the 'face' of the paper. Thus, I wanted to let people see the new 'face' of the paper and let them know things will continue.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Former co-worker texted me this morning my replacement quit. After less than a week. LMAO

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Wow. Guess you didn't prepare her properly. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted