1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do you own a landline?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jps, Mar 12, 2009.

?

do you own a landline phone?

1. yes

37 vote(s)
    48.7%
  2. no

39 vote(s)
    51.3%
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I pay $11 per month for a landline. We keep it for 911 and pray we never need to use it.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

1989 called. It says your mullet rocks. :D

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

When I first moved away from home, I got one. I never used it, and the connect and disconnect fees were outrageous.
    I can't imagine a situation where I would get one again.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Still have one. Have it rolled into my cable package. The main reason I keep it is because the sound is so much better than using a cellphone in my house, i.e., I can consistently hear the other person. That's especially key if I'm working from home and I'm part of a conference call.

EDIT: Also for work, I'm involved with arranging sources for a radio program, and I implore people to give us a landline number if at all possible. Again, the sound is so much more reliable.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Nope. My wife and I were actually early adopters on this back in 2005. But we did it purely as a cost-saving measure.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No landline here. Haven't for about five years. Last time I had one was when I first moved to Montana and the cell service was iffy in my apartment, before that I'd gone three years without a landline. Seems silly to pay for two phones, and I move around enough I'd rather not keep paying to have my phone reconnected.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd think it'd be easier to take away a cell phone than it would a land line.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

My mullet premiered in the spring of '91.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes but if you take away their cell phone and they are at home and you aren't you can't call to see if they have set the house on fire or walked the dog or both.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

But if they still have their cell phones, they can still gab to their friends or send text messages or still do sexting. They could only conceivably gab to their friends on a land line. And if they're trying to call someone long distance and they talk for hours at a time, they will get caught when the phone bill comes in.

11. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Same here since about three years ago. Vonage through Broadband Internet. A LOT cheaper that paying the regular phone guys.

But I wondered if this fell into the landline def. I would guess it does. It's not mobile.

12. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Have the VOIP set-up and no cell. Yeah, yeah, I tend to my mullet while watching Melrose Place or whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted