1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you name names?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i say you name the kid and say he was ineligible, period. if these little superstars are good enough to receive game coverage and feature pieces, they're good enough to be named when they fuck up.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bingo. However, as I said before, if it's some kid who never plays, I wouldn't worry so much about the name since it's not as important.

These parents aren't screaming about privacy and being a minor when their kids are getting 18-inch features written about them. Gotta go both ways unless it's a legal issue.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

If someone gives the reporter the names, that person is violating federal and/or state privacy laws.

I would not use illegal information.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Age has nothing to do with it. Kid could be 18 and it is still illegal for the school to disclose the information.

Oh, Futura: Great idea for a general story about the issue.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why not?

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

What I would do is state that X number of players are said by so-and-so to be ineligible for Y length of time. Then, whoever covers the game that Friday needs to see who's on the sideline and not dressed, or not there at all. That tactic is the one you usually need to use anyway, since many schools don't like to name names. But when star OL, RB, WR, whatever, doesn't suit up or doesn't play, that's an absolute fact.

Most or all of us have been outright lied to about why a player isn't playing, so it's important not to simply trust our sources, even if we think they wouldn't lie to us.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

assuming makes an ass of you.

8. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

My point entirely. In the absence of verifiable information, all you can do is report the facts without judgment.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Here here. Horrible idea to scan the sidelines and guess like that.

That said, I wouldn't name names since the admins are at fault here.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I'm not saying that you should guess. I am surprised this is being misinterpreted.

What I am suggesting is that, in the absence of verifiable information, one should report that Texas Tech-bound running back Alpha Beta did not play and coach Charlie Delta declined to comment as to the reason.

In such a situation, not only have you entirely avoided making any assumptions whatsoever, but you have explained why someone who plays every game did not get in the game at all and was wearing blue jeans on the sideline.

11. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Sorry if I missed it, but do you have the names?

If so, how did you get them?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no. that was not my point.

you do NOT know for a fact why a kid isn't playing if nobody will confirm. you would be assuming a kid, who could be sick, was ineligible.

we try to print facts, not speculation, which is why i "said" assuming makes an ass of you.

Draft saved Draft deleted