1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you like spoilers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't read the thread then. I still have never watched The Wire.

2. I got nailed with the Phantom Menace spoiler too. First of many disappointing moments related to that move.

However, a lot of the Spider-Man plot is adapted closely from the comics, so I would have assumed that plot point was pretty well known.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh Chrisss....

:D

4. Mizzougrad96

Oh, I don't care... I can't imagine ever having enough free time to watch it all.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was a thread just on Season 1 of "The Wire." And I asked Double Down, I think, his opinion on something related to Season 2 that came up. And I said, "But don't spoil Season 5 for me if you have to do so to answer the question."

And Chris, being the sweetheart that he is, immediately jumped on and started posting huge Season 5 spoilers.

That's just who he is, though. He lives life his way. I live life my life mine.

6. Mizzougrad96

What was The Phantom Menace spoiler? That is was a complete piece of shit?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I love spoilers. I want every possible spoiler I can get in every situation.

The only time I will pass on spoilers is if I will be able to consume the entirety of a storyline in a single sitting, i.e. a single movie or a book. But a TV show, or a series? I can't handle knowing only half a story for any length of time. I want every spoiler possible.

If I get interested in a show or book series that is already out, I'll usually head off to the biggest fan wiki and read everything I can before I finish the show/series.

If it's not completed, i.e. Lost or Harry Potter, I turn into an obsessive spoilerphile who reads every blog and interview that has leaked plot points or filming reports.

A week before the last Harry Potter book came out, it was reported that a version of it had leaked online. I downloaded it, and it was a series of image files of a book that someone had apparently sat on the floor and taken, page by page. In order to make it legible, you had to do a shit-ton of photoshop tinkering to each file. I got the download around 11 p.m., and I stayed up until 5 a.m. the next morning reading the entire book that way, even though I'd already pre-ordered my official copy and nobody was even 100% sure that the leak was real (although by the time I'd finished reading it was obviously real).

If GRR Martin dies, I will drag myself through the fucking underworld to find him and make him tell me how his damn story ends. He's lucky I haven't tracked him down yet.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, but the movies haven't always followed the comics. In fact, this movie follows bits of stories from the original book and parts from the Ultimate line. (Though this particular plot point happened in both books).

There are decades of history in the Spider-Man books. It's not like they will get to them all.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If a movie is terrible, can it be spoiled?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good question. I'm sure that applies to The Phantom Menace for many people. (I didn't think it was terrible. Just mediocre and extremely disappointing.)

I think a spoiler can lower the quality of a good movie. For example, The Usual Suspects is outstanding, but it does lose something after the first viewing.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's hard to avoid spoilers -- even in mainstream reviews these days -- but I think there's a certain value in not knowing what's coming. Already that way with Dark Knight Rises and the "Skyfall" 007 movie due out in November. Feel like I know too much on Spider-man.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I remember being worried knowing the catchphrase, "Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown" before I'd seen the film would ruin it. It was a silly thing to worry about in hindsight.

Draft saved Draft deleted