1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you like spoilers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Jul 2, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I am very annoyed with myself right now. I just read a story about Amazing Spider-Man and plowed ahead despite the spoiler warning. Now I wish I didn't know.

Sometimes I just can't help myself. I peek ahead in books. I read stuff online. Heck, I once spoiled some major details from a movie by looking at the soundtrack. A friend of mine was a big Star Wars freak and she bought the soundtrack to The Phantom Menace before the movie came out. I look the back and see "Death of Qui-Gon" and "Death of Darth Maul." Whoops.

Then there is my mother-in-law, who is notorious for spoiling things.

So, are you the type of person who likes to find out some spoilers? Or do you want to know as little as possible going in?

In case anybody does want to know the Spider-Man spoiler, you can read about it at this link. http://www.newsarama.com/film/amazing-spider-man-press-conference-leary.html

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No.

When previewing movies, I mostly just look at the consensus of critics rather than specifics, because they tend to spoil (out of necessity), and what they consider mere exposition I consider a spoiler.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yes, the "Qui-Gon's Noble End" and "Qui-Gon's Funeral" tracks were a bit irritating. But in the case of Phantom menace, I avoided spoilers until about a month before the movie came out. Then I read an entire plot synopsis . . . and it made absolutely no sense. It didn't sound like Star Wars as I knew it. The movie fleshed that out pretty well. Tried to read spoilers for Attack of the Clones, but they again made no sense. The movie didn't help.

As for Spider-Man spoilers: what, does Leary's character get killed? That's straight outta the comic book if that's what happens. I'm hoping Gwen buys the farm in the next film, but we'll see.

I'm avoiding all spoilers for movies now. Want to be surprised when Batman gets killed.

I don't read critics until after I see a movie.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I always read the plots of any kids movie I take by five-year-old daughter to see. She gets pretty worked up if certain things happen - not deaths as much as the idea that parents and kids might be split up or people who love each other might not be able to see each other anymore. I'll typically read up first so I can warn her if something that might get her emotional comes up and tell her that everything is going to be OK.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love and hate spoilers. As anyone who knows me knows, I hate not knowing something. I hate it. I obsess over it. People will email me and be like "Call me later. I need to ask you something." And I obsess until I talk to them.

Last year, I knew who won the Bachelor after like the fourth episode. That sucked.

This year, I've managed to avoid that. But as I'm watching West Wing, I'm googling things. "Donna and Josh." "Mandy West Wing." "CJ and Danny Concannon." A friend of mine told me last night "Toby becomes a huge prick. Just warning." and I said "Yeah, during the failed Andie reconciliation. I googled."

I hate myself for it, but I can't stop. :(

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Movies, I usually don't want to know...

The spoilers I like are for reality shows that are pre-taped and I'm always curious if I can find accurate spoilers on the Internet.

During the first week of the Celebrity Apprentice, you could google Celebrity Apprentice spoilers and it would take you about 90 seconds to find out that Aiken and Arsenio were the two finalists.

There have been seasons of Survivor and Amazing Race that have been similar. Survivor has tightened things up a bit in the last year or two, but I remember on the Heroes vs. Villains season there was a list out there that had the order that everyone got booted and it was there before the season even started.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I dislike going to the theater for movies, especially early in the run, is that getting a decent seat and finding it while the lights are still on means sitting through long previews. And on many occasions I've felt like the preview gives away too much and ruins the movie I would otherwise have wanted to see. I hate spoilers.

The only exception is that someone told me what 2 Girls 1 Cup was about. I did not mind getting that one in advance and I didn't feel like my life was poorer for not seeing that.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've posted in the other Walking Dead thread on here a time or two, but I try not to read anything spoilers folks may post. I want to read about the comics because I haven't read those.

As far as movies, the only reviews I'll read are Ebert's.

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I love spoilers. The whole point of movies is that something happens. If I want to see a movie, I will still want to see a movie even if I know what happens beforehand. I didn't see the Sixth Sense until about a year ago, and I already knew a big plot item (actually thanks to "50 First Dates"), but I still wanted to see the movie and enjoyed the ride.

In the case of the few movies I actually look forward to (upcoming Dark Knight Rises), I seek out spoilers.

10. Dick Whitman

You know what show is great at keeping spoilers under wraps? "Mad Men." I went looking for Pete Campbell death spoilers, and I couldn't find anything spoiling anything about the rest of the season. Not a scrap.

You know what show was awful at keeping spoilers under wraps? "LOST."

11. Dick Whitman

This mentality led to one of the all-time SportsJournalists.com battle royales between myself and a poster who shall remain nameless. Though I wasn't being an asshole. He just doesn't like me.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Spider Man lives? I would have never guessed.

Honestly, I would rather not watch a trailer before I saw a movie. That's how much I dislike spoilers.

Draft saved Draft deleted