1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you know of a bank that doesn't ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Nov 16, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not that my way is always right, but in situations like that, I try not to argue. It makes people -- especially if it wasn't a manager, who hopefully is better at customer service (but isn't always) -- dig in their feet. I can't say it would have made any difference, but instead of trying to get some idiot to justify the fee (because it is what it is), I'd have said, "Yes, I know you have the fee. But I have been a long-time customer, and as you can tell from my account, this was a one-time thing and it was obviously beyond my control. I'd be appreciative if you could remove it this one time as a show of faith that you value the business I have given you over the years and would like to continue to give you." No ultimatum, but veiled threat.

I'd also try the customer service # one more time, and get through the person answering quickly and request to speak to his or her manager. Same approach. Don't argue about the fee. Just explain that you are a long-time customer and for whatever the reason they have the fee, it's punitive to the person who didn't bounce the check. Tell her (but not argumentatively) that you are upset enough about it to consider switching banks if they won't waive it this once, because you have given them a lot of business and if they value your business, they would waive it this once as a show of faith.

I can't guarantee that works. But I have had some success with approaches like that when it comes to things like this.

Last, I like your principles. Switching banks is a pain, but I have discontinued services over companies that wouldn't do the common-sense thing (sometimes smaller things than this), and followed up with letters to the heads of marketing aand the CEO. (including the, "I am recommending everyone in my sphere not do business with you because of such and such") You often get apologetic responses at that point, maybe even some incentive to come back. Even though I have already moved on, at least I feel like someone was forced to take notice that I made my little statement. Otherwise, you close your account and no one ever knows.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I was polite, smiled, never argued. He tried to engage me in a long discussion, and I told him I wasn't there to debate. I simply said if they didn't waive the fee in a week, I'd leave.

They didn't. They didn't even contact me to discuss it, as he promised they would.

I will close the account, mostly in the spirit of your last graf. We're on the same page there, for sure. It's the principle of the thing, and if everybody hit with a charge like that switched banks, it would eventually get someone's attention. It might seem like a small matter, but that's how you let people control you -- by simply accepting their B.S.

Shooting you a PM right now ...

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Maybe when you go to close the account, they'll offer you a special discount rate on subscribing to your daily newspaper.

You might get lucky because the person you deal with might have worked in journalism, and that is standard operating procedure when someone threatens to become a non-customer, right? ;D

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I see where banks now are going to be required to deny a charge for insufficient funds if you try to, say, use a debit card to buy a $4 cup of coffee and you only have $3.50 in the account.

Previously, many banks would have let the charge go through then hit you with a $15 fee plus a $15 fee on any other transaction you made that day.

The government is making them do this, but they said they were going to do it anyway. Uh, huh.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Uh, $15? Mine's $35. And if you debit 8 things in a two day period, it leaves them all "pending" for about 48 hours so they can put the biggest thing through first so you get hit with like $300 in fees instead of only the $35 for the biggest one you debited last.

Screw 'em.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think it's $15 per transaction and at least one $20 fee on top of that. Maybe a bunch of $20 fees.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

we going to let this slip by? care to drop a name, jd?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is why you should never use a debit card.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My credit cards are all maxed. And I never carry cash. :D

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's a little extreme.

Unless I use a debit card to buy a car, I'm in no danger of having insufficient funds.

11. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

American Express traveler checks have never failed me. Sure it takes a little longer to check out at my local 7-11, but it's secure and safe.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Some banks take longer than 48 hours.
    I'm militant about writing every transaction in my check register. Every couple weeks, when I get paid, I'll get my balance from the teller and go through and balance my checkbook. I'll usually have to go back a week to 10 days to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted