1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have health insurance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 16, 2018.

?

Do you have Health Insurance

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. The Lord will provide

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. I have 2 interviews next month.
    City job with family imsurance premium of about $90 a momth (family plan) and a retirement plan in which i pay 6 percent and city pays 11.
    College job with family insuranc premium ranging from $266 to $125 a month plus retiremmt 6 percent pay in and 6 percent match.

Both jobs would involve a paycut, but would offset beciase our $1,200 a momth insurance payments would be slashed.

2. Aslatiel

Aslatiel New Member

I used to avoid it but with the COVID-19 situation I decided to not risk it. You might end up being 60 K just for one week of hospitalization if you get the virus and you're not feeling that well.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Timing of the above post seems a little odd.

March 4, 2020? Sure.
    Today? With COVID soon to be a memory?

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I have a City job similar to Evil. I do not pay out of pocket for my individual insurance coverage. The last time I paid out of pocket for a job's insurance policy was when I was in journalism.

After I dislocated my knee in college, the resulting 3 hours of treatment (including an ambulance ride a quarter of a mile, morphine, and a 90-minute stay with treatment in the ER) was around $5,000. My parents' insurance still covered me so they paid a few hundred dollars out of pocket. If a freak accident happened and I didn't have insurance, that $5K out of pocket would absolutely bankrupt me. And I know that is a SMALL incident.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I just had a change in my job circumstances. My PPO rate is going from $32 a week — it was a crappy PPO with a high deductible — to $89 a week. I didn’t do a direct compare, but it seems like it’s a much better plan and it better be for all that $$$. I hope my next physical includes a couple strippers.

Also I’m envious of anyone with municipal coverage. My mom worked for the city for 30 years and she used to complain about how expensive her prescriptions were... at $10. I think they’re now $25 and it’s like a calamity in her mind.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

So I’m in a new life now, working for myself as a consultant. My wife works for an Amish company that doesn’t offer insurance. The timing on this post resurfacing is coincidental.

We have been paying about $300 a month for Christian Healthcare Ministries. Less than I paid for insurance and less than half what we would pay on the exchange.

If is not insurance, but any “incident” over $500 is covered completely. That’s oversimplifying, but it’s how it’s worked for us. There is a cap but we pay extra that raises it to $1 million per incident in a few years.

7. Aslatiel

Aslatiel New Member

See all of you have found some good plans in the mall so looking for something cheaper than what I have at the moment. There are many things that I don't like being included in my life insurance plan and I would rather save this money to spend it on more useful things like going on vacation or saving up for a new car. My wife and I are both having a very healthy lifestyle and we don't even smoke so the chances of really needing a life insurance are very low. This is why I researched lifeinsuranceblog.net and found some very good info on what to choose for my needs.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I know of a few people who have those type of religious “plans.” Like you said, it’s not insurance. But, from what I know, I would be VERY careful about relying on these outfits to pay your medical bills.

They usually are called “sharing” plans, as in everyone pays into it and “shares” medical costs. But if someone gets hit with a high medical bill, then the “plan” decides that it can’t afford to pay the bill, is under little to no obligation to pay the bill, and the patient is stuck with a huge bill after paying into the program.

Oh, and they’re generally not subject to state insurance laws because they’re religious.

You do you, but if I were you, I’d read the fine print very carefully.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's not like the "real" insurance companies haven't fought and/or refused to pay claims a few million times.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, but at least there typically is some sort of criteria for denials and a system for appeals. With these type of “plans”, accepting or rejecting claims are truly on their whim.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The Amish let non-Amish work for them?

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Sure. Many Amish even have "English" (as they call us) business partners, so they can connect to the power grid.

My wife runs the office for one of those expensive Amish furniture manufacturers. It is owned by a lone Amish man, so the office runs on solar and the plant runs on diesel and propane. There are about 50 people that work there (and another 100 subcontractors across Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York), but she is the only non-Amish woman. There are two non-Amish men on the floor, another two on the leadership team (including the guy who runs the day to day of the business), and three drivers, whose only job is to pick up the employees, take them home and run errands through the day.

It is the best employer she has ever had

Draft saved Draft deleted