1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you guys eat vegetables?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jul 3, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't cover a beat. I'm in sports media, but not a newspaper guy (I could never do what most of you do). My hours are pretty normal--well, I work late at times--but it is probably easier for me to live a healthy lifestyle than most of the people here. I have seen the kinds of things a lot of writers hurdiedly eat in press rooms while they go over notes or use their free hand to punch the keys. Sometimes it just ain't pretty. I kind of understand it, but at the same time, it is a choice. If it means enough to you, you can eat healthy, no matter how hectic your schedule is or screwed up your hours are.

I think I am one of the only people on earth who genuinely loves veggies. There isn't a vegetable I don't love. Lima beans? Yum. Brussel Sprouts? I could eat them all day long. I think I have eaten broccoli every day the last two weeks. My favorite thing is to stir fry every vegetable I can find in hot sauce and mix in some rice noodles. And my staple meal from a restaurant near here, when I am working a lot of hours, is brown rice with black beans, with a salad on the side.

I am not sure if I am this way because I have conditioned myself to enjoy eating that way--I haven't eaten any meat in about 14 years--or whether it is just what I naturally like. I rarely even eat any fruit, just veggies. I wasn't always this way. When I was in college, and even well afterward, I ate pretty crappy. It is just that something happened to me at some point, and the change in my eating habits really didn't require a gut-wrenching effort. I just liked it.

About two years ago, I was under a lot of work stress and traveling a ton and working ridiculous hours. I cut back my exercise, which has always been the thing that really levels me. It was bad. And even though I remained a vegetarian, I still managed to eat pretty unhealthy for me. Cheese was my major weakness. I mean, man it is it my weakness-like kyrpontite. I'd eat pizza all the time--and I couldn't moderate it. It wasn't like I could go and have two slices. I'd polish off a whole pie on occasion. I put on weight (not super fat, but overweight for me), and was just feeling crappy physically.

I am really convinced that cheese is like an opiate for me and that I can't regulate it. I crave it when it is getting regularly into my system. But when I feed the craving, it makes me feel worse. Plus, I know logically that it is clogging my arteries. So I cut it, and all dairy, out of my diet. I did it sort of gradually, and now I don't eat any dairy. I really feel so much better for it. At the moment, I actually feel as physically good as I ever have.

I know I am sort of a freak when it comes to this stuff in that I genuinely love foods that most people eat like they are taking medicine, and my choices are extreme--I don't do things in moderation, I just do without. And I'd never expect anyone else to eat the way I do. The way I am kind of leaves veggies and grains as the only things I can eat. But it really isn't all that bad, and if someone was thinking about trying a diet like this, I'd highly recommend it.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm a vegetarian (well, except for when I've been drinking and the pita joint is the only place open for late night munchies), so, yea, I eat a lot of veggies. I discovered early on that I expanded exponetially when I didn't pay extremely close attention to what I ate, and being a vegetarian forces me to do that.

And hot dogs are among the grosser foods on the planet. Do you know what's in those things? :-X

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes.

[​IMG]

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

100-percent pure deliciousness. I'm definitely getting a kosher dog when I'm at Wrigley in two weeks.

5. jumboland

jumboland New Member

When I plan, I eat well.  Little tub of hummus with carrots and wheat pita in a thermal lunchbox at games.  Tasty, healthy and the garlic breath keeps everyone away so I can do my job.

When I don't plan, it gets ugly.  Subway if I'm lucky, burgers if I'm not, often I'll be in some pissass town late at night where nothing's open but the convenience store and then I'm like the young Henry Rollins, living on microwave burritos. That, or paying $3 for some refrigerated, packaged sandwich made one week ago and 500 miles away that can be finished in four bites.

Hot dog ingedients: butts, guts, nuts, lips, ears, eyelids and assholes.  Hot dogs suck.  That said, I love me some bratwurst.  With lots of mustard.  Hold the kraut though.  I hate farting.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There was a reason I didn't list what was in the damned things. Now I'm gonna be ill :-X

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I know nothing about ingredients but hot dogs are one of the worst things you can eat. The fat/calorie content is just way too high in relation to the "fill you up" factor.

8. jumboland

jumboland New Member

Soy dogs kick ass. You have to get the kind that are made from soy protein though, not that fucking textured vegetable protein crap. All-soy veggie dogs are the righteous equivalent of all-beef hot dogs. The standard to which others aspire. Get that bitchass TVP shit outta here.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to compliment the newbie on his handle. One of the great names in sports and a fun player to watch in his GW days.

10. Thank you! You have helped me feel better about getting scolded by the moderator. And no, I wasn't joking - I really wanted to know if you've managed to maintain healthy diets.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I really thought this was going to be about "Ames for Dummies." (hey, Fußball_Bat!)

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Today's lunch (and I'm not covering a game or heading into the office until 7 p.m.):

One jumbo hotdog, a churro, a small bag of doritos, two white chocolate chip macadameia nut cookies and a diet coke. That's what I grabbed at the deli on the way out from Costco.

Not exactly healthy, but I figured it was OK since I had just pounded out 17-20 miles on the bike.

Draft saved Draft deleted