1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you feel odd around writers who crank stuff out?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pringle, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Is this really necessary? You remember the key quotes, can't you just refer back to the tape to get the few that you'll use exact instead of spending 135 minutes transcribing the entire thing?

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Dude, I do that too ... that way, I hear the entire thing again and have a good read on the context of everything. I won't do that for a 9 p.m. start, mind you ... but for a feature? Heck, yes.

rb

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

You're not alone. I clicked on this thread mainly to read the "fun with title" cracks, and have been extemely disappointed.

On a serious note, is it just me or have their been a lot of insecure/unhappy threads started on this board lately?

4. Boobie Miles

Just curious, do you do all of your work at a media room at the arena/stadium most days? Even on none game days? I'm just curious because I've worked a D-I beat, and that wasn't the case, or even an option, where I was. Is this type of thing common, if in fact I am reading that correctly.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Maybe I'm missing something--and Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time--but if someone is at a game/race/whatever and they flip on SJ and it doesn't affect their production, why is it any of your business?

Allow me to quote you.

6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Not to toot my own horn, but I'm actually pretty quick transcribing. I meant the 135 minutes as a joke...I'll start transcribing, get distracted, go to the bathroom, surf the Internet some more, etc. If I just buckle down and transcribe, I could easily finish 30 minutes of tape in 40 minutes. Maybe quicker.

And as for transcribing the whole tape, it's something I usually do. For something like a post-football practice availability, where I'm interviewing two or three coaches and three or four players and using the information for a notebook and several features, transcribing the whole tape is the quickest way.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wingie,

You sure the order isn't -- surf the internet, get "distracted," go to the bathroom?

I applaud you for your discretion, at least, while you crank it out or toot your own horn or whatever it is you fellas call it these days.

8. Mighty_Wingman

You're reading it correctly, but I can't really speak to how common it is.

I know both of the schools I've covered (in different BCS conferences) have media workrooms in one of the main athletic department buildings, reasonably close to coaches' and administrators' offices, not to mention SIDs. But both schools are pretty well known for accessibility and media-friendliness, at least in matters like this.

At my current spot, most of the beat writers spend the bulk of their time in the athletics building, especially during football or basketball season. I can't really speak for the other school...I was a student when I covered them, and the workroom wasn't up and running yet.

And you're absolutely right about the number of depressing, moody threads around here lately.

P.S. - HB, while I agree with you, I hope we can manage not to rehash the "piddling" thread again. I think the principals have kissed and made up, which should be enouggh reason not to keep dragging out the argument.

9. Mighty_Wingman

Well played.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

When I was at Penthouse Forum, the writers were constantly cranking them out.

11. Boobie Miles

Wow I wish that had been the case. It seems like the SID and staff doesn't treat the media like a nuisance that is only valuable when pumping up the program. Seems like it would also help your work a great deal. Much easier to develop sources when you're always around, able to shoot the shit and not just be there for your interviews and get out, also if anything breaks you're already there. At the school I was at, availability was like this: schedule the interview with the SID, show up do the interview and that'd be it. Also often times SID would make you feel rushed, saying things like Coach/Player has to get to practice/lift/etc.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

So let's see if I have this right, wingman:

You arrive at the press room at 11:30...and piss away the next four hours with bullshit and net surfing.
    After a 30-45 minute media availability, you piss away another 2 hours or so "transcribing," surfing the net some more, bullshitting some more.
    You crank out 3 stories in 45 minutes (lots of thought going into those) and finally by 8:30 pack up and go home.
    So you've basically worked about 2 1/2 hours, pissed away about 6 1/2...and then you probably bitch about what a long day you've had.

Draft saved Draft deleted