1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you ever think about your first?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mike311gd, Apr 2, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't know about all of you, but I do the most -- and probably my clearest -- thinking in the car, and with about a 45-minute commute, I do a lot of it. But I got to thinking about someone from my past the other day, and it struck me as a little odd. She was the first girl I ever liked.

I was an 8-year-old third-grader in 1991, and I found myself paying more attention than usual to this girl across the classroom. She was a cutie with dark, brown hair and a light, white face, and, believe it or not, her name was Kelly. I remember going home after playing basketball with my friends in the winter and flipping on Saved By The Bell and thinking how cool it would be for me to date Kelly -- just like Zack Morris.

There really wasn't anything special about Kelly, looking back on things. Nothing sticks out, at least, except for her hair and her face. I don't even remember talking to her that much. I know I had trouble getting at least one sentence out during a lunch period, though. I was playing basketball with a bunch of kids, and I let them know I liked her for some reason. They pressured me to go and talk to her. I don't know exactly what was said, but when I finished, I immediately regretted it and didn't want to tell my friends because it was so bad.

Kelly and I went to school together for the next two years. Then I moved on to the middle school, and her family moved away. I had pretty much forgotten about her until my sophomore or junior year of high school, when my best friend said, "You'll never guess who's in my English class: Kelly." We graduated together, but I don't think I ever said another word to her.

It's been about 17 years since I've spoken to her -- intelligibly or not -- but I can still see her face. I don't know if she's thought about me, though I highly doubt it. I'm sure she never found out I had a thing for her, and even if she did, she was probably too young to feel anything for me. I mean, I was probably too young to feel anything for her -- but if Zack Morris was doing it, why shouldn't I?

I don't know. I thought it was pretty strange. Do any of you think about the first boy or girl you liked?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I thought this thread would be about something else entirely.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That was the plan. I think about that one, too, though. But no one wants to hear about that, I'm sure.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

IJAG does. Every. Last. Detail.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Yes.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The first boy I liked was Eric with glasses in the third grade.

First girl, well, shockingly enough it wasn't Angelina Jolie. It was a field hockey player in college.

I may delete this in the morning.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Have fun with that. :p

8. sportschick

Fuck you, Doc. Always quoting the posts I want to delete later. Stan waves his balls in your direction!

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I could be asked nicely to delete my post. Or bribed by removal of anti-Cubs talk from sigs, you filthy Reds fan. :D

EDIT: You kept the balls after they were removed? Ew.

10. sportschick

What anti-Cubs talk? I see only the truth in my sig :D

Stan kept his balls. He's gross like that!

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Somehow, inexplicably, I never went through the "girls are gross and have cooties" phase and developed my first crush as a 5-year-old kindergartner. Her name was Sarah. She was in my class every year all the way through elementary school, but moved to the other side of town after third grade and went to a different middle school.

We were in the same school again by seventh grade, but it was never the same after that.

My crush on Sarah never wavered throughout elementary school, at least not until the end of third grade, when I realized I have an interminable, deep-rooted love and appreciation for bitchy blondes. Her name was Ashley, she was from Virginia and she had curly hair. She moved away after third grade and I never saw her again.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Stan keeping his balls was a shocking twist to this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted