1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you donate to your old school?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Sep 15, 2006.

?

Do you donate to your old school(s)?

1. Yes, to the athletic department

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. yes, to the school and to athletics

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Yes, but only to the school itself, not athletics

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  4. Yes, but to a school I didn't even attend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nope

22 vote(s)
    55.0%
  1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I was hit up by my college's athletic department to become a booster. Just curious to what level, if any, we as sports journalists donate to our colleges and their athletic departments?

2. joe

joe Active Member

Not a chance.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We don't give to the athletic department, but we do give to the school of accountancy.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

In the spirit of disclosure, I donated to the athletics department once when I lived in a different state and didn't cover the team in any way. I also fund a scholarship in the comm dept earmarked for an aspiring sports journalist.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I've attended two reunions for the college's newspaper. Money for each one goes to help the journalism program.

6. JackS

JackS Member

I do donate to both my old schools (but not athletics), and both my employers match the donations. I want to keep a good relationship with them because I would love to finish my career teaching. I always notify the alumni mags when I win awards and such, and meet with faculty or staff whenever they request it.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hell no. I paid plenty of tuition money on my way through; that's enough. And as far as I'm concerned, they ought to shut the J-school down completely, because every person that comes out of it now is coming after my job, and Mr. Publisher will be happy to hire them at half the wage scale.

And as far as the athletic program -- you gotta be kidding. A crooked, corrupted cesspool (which also doesn't win a hell of a lot :eek: :eek: :eek: For Christ's sake, if you're gonna cheat, cheat good. :mad: :mad: ).

I live 80 miles away from my alma mater, haven't set foot on campus for eight years, and don't care if I ever do again.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No. Fuck 'em. Universities waste tons of money. Better the money goes to a good cause.

9. Bear

Bear New Member

I give money to the college of liberal arts at my alma mater, but not to the overall university foundation.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Certainly, even though my alma mater is a member of the Billionaires Endowment Club. Not a lot, but some, mostly toward specific capital construction projects that interest me, or to the athletic program my brother played for at the same university. My donation is never unrestricted.

I feel as if I got my money's worth, so I give back some.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I firmly believe that universities should have a five-year grace period for recent grads. There is nothing more sickening than being recently graduated, looking desperately for a job or having a job where you don't make enough to keep yourself in ramen, and getting hit up for donations by the school. I have been known to call up and yell at development departments when they pull that shit.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I give $300 per year to my old high school and the company matches. At that level, you can't designate what it's used for -- beyond choosing general fund (whatever) or capital fund (physical plant improvements) -- although my pittance does put me in probably the top 5 percent of my graduating class. There are a few classmates who give five or 10 grand a year ... then there's a few like me ... then there's the token gifts, which are the vast majority. I think about 25 percent of the Class of 1977 gives something. There are 10 "named" giving levels ranging from $25 to more than $25,000 and I am in the group that's fourth from the bottom. Some of the super rich give a lot, and they get a gym or library or something named after them. Usually they are older people who aren't raising kids anymore. If you want to endow a scholarship, you have to give at least $100K. If I hit a lottery jackpot, I'd do it. I was on scholarship there for four years and loved the place.

Draft saved Draft deleted