1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you celebrate your birthday?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jun 9, 2011.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I wouldn't, except my parents insist on visiting every year.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Since I won't be around here for my birthday Sunday, I went out to drinks with friends this past Monday. Low-key drinking at my favorite beer bar with my close friends was perfect. This weekend will be weird since it's my birthday, but also my cousin's wedding. I hope my parents don't want to do anything special. Since we'll be drinking at midnight when it comes around, a cheers to me being older will be fine with me. Next week my girlfriend is taking me out to dinner. I'd prefer to just have one night of drinking to celebrate, but the way my birthday falls this year makes it weird.

As for memorable birthdays, drinking on the east coast at midnight when I turned 21 and then drinking on the same day in Seattle with SJers was pretty cool.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We'll go out to dinner or see a movie.
    But we do that almost every week, so, no, not really.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

My birthday is right at the start of football season and I've covered a game the last two years. When it's not on a game day, I'm working on previews for the season opener.

This past year, I had about 20,000 folks show up at the Alamodome for my ninth annual 39th birthday bash.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I always take my friends' birthdays as an opportunity to show them a good time, and they do the same in return. Just another reason to relax with my buds? I'm always in. Then again, I'm only 26. Maybe that will fade in time.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That will fade as you begin to realize that people are the worst and that your friends are included.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Celebrate? Not really. I don't need an excuse to eat something nice or drink with my friends. I do that weekly, anyway.

I do have a ritual of having grapefruit and drinking a beer for breakfast on my birthday. It doesn't matter what day of the week it is or whether or not I'm going to work.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Of course. Nothing major, just out to a very casual dinner with family and some friends. I've only been home on two of my last four, though; one year I was in Moses Lake, Wash., a place I'd never imagined spending a birthday.

And I always cash the check my parents send to help me celebrate it, in lieu of a gift. They wouldn't have it any other way.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm usually working a high school basketball game on mine. Jesus gets a full slate of NBA games on his birthday. I get prep hoops. Which, I figure, is the way it should be. Though I'd like to not have to work it.

11. I do. It's not as joyful as it used to be but it's still a celebration of another year of being alive. Plus is a good excuse to get friends together and have drinks. Always a good excuse for sex, too.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

People who take off work on their birthday put me on mega-tilt. I just don't get it. "Oh, oh, oh!! It's my birthday! I'm so fucking special that I cannot be bothered by going to work on this day!" Ugh.

At my last job, they gave us our birthday off, but it was more or less a floating holiday. You could use it anytime, which was cool.

These days, celebrating my birthday involves little more than maybe a nice dinner or a family cookout. Nothing too crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted