1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you call a coach "Coach"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Some people express impassioned points of view on this, but I mostly agree with those who say it's mostly a non-issue. I once interviewed several members of a college's search committee, including a professor.

Heard myself ask, "Professor, would you say ...?"

Would anyone think I was sucking up to the prof? To me, it's the same as the "coach" thing. She wasn't my professor, but it seemed like a respectful way to address her. It was certainly easier than worrying about whether to call her "Ms." or "Mrs." or "Miss" or by her first name.

I know it's easy to read the inflection and body language of a fanboy who says "Coach" in that way that's a dead giveaway, but it's wrong to assume everyone who uses that word is being a homer or building a case for the reporter being in a subordinate position.

2. Somewhere, Lee Jackson Beauregard has a migraine.

It's not a big deal. At all.

Calling someone Coach is not some release of power or verbal curtsy.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You do if you host an NFL pregame show.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

WFW.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's a solid point, JD.

6. Zabka

Zabka Member

Geez, this is worthy of a thread?

I cover mostly pro stuff, so I address those coaches/managers by their first names or nicknames. When I have the odd high school event to cover, I'll use Coach and the guy's surname. It's not kissing up, just a simple way to say hello and be courteous. And they appreciate it.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

John Gagliardi - all-time winningest college football coach - insists that everyone call him John, especially his own players. It's fun imagining some of the tyrants of sports having a similar philosophy with his players, like, say, Bobby Knight.

8. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

In what context are we talking about? If it's in print, then it's always "Asslick High coach Soandso" or "Asslick Fartknockers coach Soandso" on first reference, then just Soandso.
    In person, whatevs works. But in print is more important.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Call him Bobby and you'll wish you called him Coach. It's Bob, or brace yourself for the response.

With a few legendary exceptions--Wooden/Paterno types--I wouldn't call someone Coach if they weren't my coach.

I can understand a different philosophy in the high schools, where no one ever uses first names in front of students.

We've had this thread numerous times and the consensus seems to be 'whatever works.'

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

"Hey, Knight" is always a winner, too. :)

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I call just about everyone coach. It's not because I'm younger than all of them, which I am. I just do. There's no thought behind it. They're coaches, and I deal with more than 200 of them every school year. I know most of them, some very well, others not so much. But that doesn't matter to me.

It's just a word, folks.

12. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Call a Major League Baseball manager "Coach." They like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted