1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Applaud On Senior Day?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 24, 2009.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I've blurred a few lines...but never clapped. You just can't clap.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A father of a kid I used to cover eight years ago emails me to this day complaining about the coverage of his son (who is in the NBA) gets. I probably get an email from the guy once a week with links to stories about his kid. I don't have the heart to tell the guy I've seen his kid play twice since he left college and both times it was a coincidence because it was the game I happened to be watching anyway.

He's a really nice guy who for whatever reason sees me as a sympathetic ear to vent to.

3. Mizzougrad96

I covered a player early in my career who after they announced him at Senior Day stopped along press row to hug each of the three beat writers.

If Kenneth from 30 Rock had a jump shot and was smarter, it would be this kid. I was really embarrassed, but it was hard to take it too seriously.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Nope, never applaud if you're covering the event.
    Like media dudes showing up wearing Whatsamatta U's cap/Tshirt/etc., it's a No-No.
    How many out there have been "reprimanded" or questioned by a fan/booster at a school that the writer attended, yet doesn't sing the school's alma mater following the game or, say, give a familiar school symbol such as the "Hook 'em Horns?"
    I've covered the very school I've graduated from and have experienced that retort after standing and simply listening to the alma mater. "What are you, some traitor to your school?" has been a response from some Joe Clueless Fans.
    amazing.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why don't you support your hometown school, micke?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, micke. Why do you hate America?

7. micke77

micke77 Member

Guess I got that "be objective' blood running through my journalistic blood. :)

8. Mizzougrad96

I don't applaud. I just bring an air horn.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well-played. Ay-OOO-ga. ;)

10. micke77

micke77 Member

I guess the next time my school's alma mater is playing, I better go along with it or Ace and Shotglass will rag my ass on SportsJournalists.com. :D

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

No, you shouldn't have applauded.

You're a professional, period. If someone asks you point blank why you didn't applaud, explain to them the principles of objectivity in media.

12. Mizzougrad96

I don't applaud. I boo at the top of my lungs.

Draft saved Draft deleted