1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we still like sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consimante professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

2. ronalong

ronalong Guest

I still love it as much as I ever did. I don't like major league baseball anymore, because the stats are screwed up by steroids. But I still love the other sports. I must be sick, because I still watch Sportscenter everyday!

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Damn newbie, that's a problem right there. Screw the whole concept of the thread, you still watch sportscenter?

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Wow, I thought I was alone. My interest in sports definitely does ebb and flow. Yet, my interest in writing about sports never wanes. I've thought about making the switch to news and just can't do it. It would never hold my interest and the writing would suffer. I would only ever want to be a sports writer. It's weird.

5. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

I know my love for sports has certainly died. It's amazing to me how out of touch I am. When did Marshall Faulk get hurt? When did Gary Payton start playing for the Heat? Who is Eric Mangini? I guess I'm so absorbed in my own little high school sports haven I don't have time to follow the big boys any more.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I like going to baseball games, my favorite team and elsewhere when we're on vacation. I'll even sometimes go to minor-league games. Sometimes I miss it when the season ends and I look forward to spring training. My wife likes to watch baseball on TV. I'll watch NFL or listen on the radio in the car, but I don't think I'd miss it if it ceased to exist, and college football interests me less, but somewhat. As a kid I loved the NBA, but I've lost interest. In my 20s I liked going to mid-major college basketball games and I still love the NCAA tourney. I'll watch women's basketball sometimes. I never liked hockey, can't get into the Olympics, soccer, boxing, tennis, golf, bowling, auto racing, horse racing, bullfighting, rodeo, etc.

7. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I still love college sports, watching Federer and Tiger at the top of their games, the World Cup and despite all the hype, I still love the Olympics.

A high school stadium on a Friday in the fall is still a great place to be, too.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Some seasons it's hard to follow anything but what you cover. I haven't followed college football as rabidly as years past because I now work all day Saturday. I am bummed about that, but I've never really followed NFL or NBA so I don't miss it.

Most days when I get home, if there's not a sporting event I'm looking forward to, I'd rather watch non-sports. I won't have it on just for the sake of watching sports.

Friends and family say I'm boring to watch a game with because "no cheering in the press box" has seeped into my personal life as well.

And the perspective that comes after a few solid years in the biz: there will always be another season.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You can satisfy yourself somewhat with the knowledge that this means you're a true pro.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I still like sports, but only for a few things. Hockey is my favorite sport so I'm up for attending a live game whenever. As for other sports, I like golf and some college football and NFL and MLB and college baseball, but the NBA, NASCAR and just about anything else sportswise isn't a priority for me (watching it, but covering it isn't a problem because it's what I do for a living).

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I am totally oposite. Since I write on high school sports, the last thing I could imagine caring about outside of work is high school sports.
    I love MLB, kind of care about the NFL - though only the Seahawks and my fantasy team, and start watching the NBA during the playoffs.
    I love sports, have always been a stathead and can't get enough of watching the ones I like.
    I wonder how much of it has to do with covering professional teams? Is it more the journalists that are involved at metro papers that are sick of sports? Or is it a smattering from across the board?

12. slipshod

slipshod Member

I don't like it as much as I used to, which probably is a good thing. Better to have more broad interests in the world around me and put things into perspective. But I still like a good game or a locker room implosion. .... 2001 World Series was last sports event that truly stirred me. Maybe it was going to Ground Zero at the time, or hearing Ray Charles sing America the Beautiful, or that Stealth Bomber flying low over BOB. Probably it was Rivera getting beat in Game 7.

There still are a few moments I cherish, but God, some people (including most face-painted, chest-painted NFL fans) really need a life.

Draft saved Draft deleted