1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we like anybody?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 24, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

All this trashing of people in sports with records of excellence: A-Rod, Larry Brown, Nick Saban, Allen Iverson...the list seems to go on and on. We get on them for not winning in the "right way," we find ways to twist their stats into something negative, we get on them for being too outspoken, we get on them for being too quiet, we get on female athletes for using their sex appeal, or for being ugly, or for maybe being lesbian....yadda, yadda, doo wah diddy. The one word that pops into my head when it comes to far too much sports writing these days is "schadenfraude."

OK, in decades past, perhaps we sugarcoated too much, and said the Babe had a stomach ache when he really had the clap, stuff like that. But what I do miss from those days is an appreciation that the people being covered had a rare talent that millions of folks enjoyed. Somewhere in there, there has to be a middle ground. Doesn't there?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I like reading your posts... short or medium short...

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Excellent point, Dooley.

I think there are a few reasons for this:
    1. Most of us are born cynics
    2. Back in the "good ol' days" writers were more likely to be in bed with the teams and athletes; they had more access but were expected to use a great deal of discretion in return
    3. All the President's Men churned out a generation of "gotcha" journalists
    4. If we got along with everyone, there would be no good stories (see: Mariotti, Jay)

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'll agree with that one.

5. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I love a good schadenfraude reference. And I agree with your post dooley.

What to do about it? No clue.

6. dooley_womack1

I use schadenfraude because I don't want my sociology courses to have gone to waste. I'll try to get "verstehen" into a post someday.

Anyhoo, could it be the explosion in player salaries over the last 2-3 decades? Used to be, players and journos were not that far apart economically; players often had to work in the offseason. Journos are trained to afflict the comfortable. Multimillionaire players become "the comfortable," and it could be a kind of class warfare (tho a Woody Paige or a Gammons are on the same side of the economic tracks pretty much).

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Most sports journalists/publicists are paid to be, or else eagerly volunteer to be, unabashed ass-kissers. Along with 97% of all fans, with IQ's in the low double digits, who perform the same function.

Somebody's got to be the voice of the functioning cerebral cortices.

8. dooley_womack1

So some degree of appreciation is dumb? The "functioning cerebral cortices" have to automatically come to the conclusion that darn near everyone in some way sucks?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Quick!! Someone call 911!!! Spnited has commandeered Dooley's screen name!!!!

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It's spelled "schadenfreude." As an FYI.

I just hate everyone, unless they're hot.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I hate to say it, because it somewhat demeans our profession.

But a lot of what dools speaks of stems from the fact that if a sports journalist DOES come off as respectful or deferent to an athlete, he's looked upon as an ass-kisser by his brethren.

It's all part of wanting to be in the little boys' club.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many people in sports are really worth rooting for anymore?

There are a few... Tom Brady, Derek Jeter, maybe even Peyton Manning. I would put Shaq on this list.

Most athletes are complete douchebags. Some hide it better than others.

Athletic excellence alone does not make someone worth rooting for...

Draft saved Draft deleted