1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we close the borders?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

I'm a dem and have never been down with this idea, but in the wake of the last 48 hours ... i won't lie, it kind of makes me wonder.

Anyone else re-considering? Sadly, this wretched war has also made me chance my stance on guns, too. I now feel as if being a gun owner - hell, if the shit hits the fan ... - is not a terrible idea. All i can picture is a Katrina-like situation in my area.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Agreed. Don't let the Mexicans get us.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm hiring a Mexican to fly for me.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yes.

(We're talking about state borders, right?)

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not being arch, when I say:

.  . . then they win.

7. Considering the economic problems with letting millions of poor illegal immigrants who don't pay much in taxes and get lots of tax money directed toward them, yes.  Considering the possibility of terrorist attacks, yes.  Closing the borders doesn't mean that we are baring immigration; it just means that we're going to keep track of who is coming in and coming out of the country and keeping it more secure and orderly.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yes, because I want the crazy Californians kept out of Montana. No more driving up real estate values, dammit!

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Actually, I'm more worried about those crazy bastards in Ontario.

10. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Well ideally, we would do it to prevent terrorists from coming into the country. So if i could amend it, we would really crack down on letting potential terrorists into the country. But then you get into racial profiling, which can be good and bad.

The US has some serious decisions to make in the coming weeks.

All i know is that I'm angry as hell. A good save, but I'm still pissed.

IF anyone read the AMAZING CIA-FBI story in the New Yorker recently, you will get angry, too. It's one of the best pieces I've read in the magazine.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If they do get in, though, I'd feel a lot safer if you were carrying a gun.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's not a very liberal attitude to maintain, A_F.

And what do you do about those potential terrorists who are already in the country? Do we have a retroactive date where we boot everyone out? Anyone who moved here since, say, July 2001 is a potential terroristic threat?

And when is racial profiling good? I'm sure those that have been charged with DWB think profiling is great.

Draft saved Draft deleted