1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Vegetarians and Vegans Think They Are Better Than Everyone Else?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Answer to the initial inquiry:

I don't think they think are better than everyone else, necessarily. Not in a general sense. I do think that those who are vegetarians on moral grounds believe they are making the morally superior choice, where this matter is concerned, as compared to their meat-eating peers.

Not different in any way than adherents to any particular religion, who believe the same.

I'm also not sure why people think that vegans should serve meat at their weddings. They (frequently) believe that killing animals for food is ethically indefensible. Why would they countenance it? Does your pastor read from the Koran?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Let's all eat Vegan dinners Sunday night. I'll grab a Chipotle burrito. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Tofu is one example of a meatless item/food/ingredient.

Not everyone will like tofu. Not everyone will like every meat, or fish. So what?

If someone serves only tofu at a party, that would be odd.

Besides not liking this one ingredient, I'm not sure what the problem is.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Phenomenal slogan for gum or toothpaste.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Indian food is great, so much so that whether a dish has meat or not is often fairly irrelevant. Mutter paneer is definitely in the running for my answer to the Last Meal question.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I think I have mentioned my friend on here before who is hardcore Vegan (his wife is vegetarian).

They have cooked some absoluutely delicious food at parties at their place, only thing they can't get right (to my taste) is chocolate cake!

He is never preachy about it. When we go out together it is for Thai or Vietnamese.

The way some people are talking on here you would think that a Vegan/Vegetarian is like being from Mars.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just FYI, Chet, Da Woman makes an awesome vegan chocolate cake -- not to mention brownies, chocolate chip cookies, etc.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is my go to dish from the local Indian joint:

DUM KI GOBHI 11.95

Sauteed cauliflower and potatoes, steamed with fresh tomatoes, onions, turmeric and ground cumin.

http://www.rajdarbar.com/menu_vegetarian.htm

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Last time we did this salad, we put in enough mint to give a blonde set of twins a double orgasm. ... and it still didn't seem like enough to me. So when were shopping Saturday morning, I pushed hard to crossover from "a lot of mint," to "a shitload of mint." It was the right choice. The keys to that salad are that you can back a truck of mint up to the counter, and you won't ruin it, and the more lemons you want to squeeze in, the better. There's no such thing as too much. Just let it marinate.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Have you been to the stellar Indian fast-food place in the Chase Tower?

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Guys, you may want to limit your tofu intake.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects

For me, it's personal identity, but I may be interpreting religious doctrine too narrowly. Obviously, there is a religious component to it.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm saving this story. People seem to think it's weird when I painstakingly remove every little cube of tofu from my miso soup for this very reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted