1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do the umps want instant replay?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, May 25, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I saw them begin to debate and immediately changed the channel.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I grew up following the NL so I don't know, but didn't the AL use six umps back in the day?

If MLB went to six umps, the union has to be 100% in favor since it means more jobs.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can't think of a single umpire or referee who would EVER throw a game!

*Cough* Tim Donaghy *Cough*

I'm pretty sure most refs in any sport try their damnest to be perfect. We're human. We blow calls from time to time. But the good ones do their damnest to get it right every time.

Speaking as an umpire, instant replay in baseball is a terrible idea. Speaking as a fan, it's a terrible idea. Speaking as a reporter ... well, you get the idea.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'm in favor of sticking umps in the outfield. (I'm not opposed to replay on boundary calls, either).

Take some of those old guys that can no longer get in position to make calls and put them out there, bring up some fresh faces and get the calls right. I see that as a win-win for everyone.

I can't see people's argument about the "human element" being part of the game. In what other job is getting it wrong just shrugged off? Yes, they get more right that wrong, but if you have an opportunity to get even more correct, I think it's crazy not to explore your options.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Hitting a baseball. Ted Williams failed 60 percent of the time in 1946 and they made him out to be some sort of hero. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

As to the question at hand: The umpires are entirely arrogant, but I also suspect none of them want to be the next Don Denkinger. If replay can save them a life of ignominy by overturning a blown call in a big situation, I'm guessing they'd be grateful.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Don Denkinger probably thinks he got the call right.

:D

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Baseball doesn't have the time limitations at the major league level that other sports have. Yes, the American League has a very limited curfew, but you don't have clocks ruling the sport the way you do in football.

That said, instant replay would be terrible in baseball. If you put it in just for fair/foul calls for home runs, you're going to get the argument about adding it for fair or foul calls down the line or safes and outs. And then you're going to get arguments for balls and strikes.

The one thing I might do is require a member of the umpiring crew (or even just the crew chief) to call an umpire's conference on a "controversial" call if they see it differently from how the umpire who made the call did. And then, let it be the crew chief's decision.

But NO to instant replay. HELL NO to instant replay.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I wasn't necessarily advocating replay. I was advocating:
    1. Down field umps
    2. Getting it right

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They already do that, minus the crew chief decision.

They need better umpires. A league that continues to employ fuckwits like Joe West, Angel Hernandez and C.B. Bucknor gets the umpiring it deserves- shitty.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Isn't this almost exactly what they do know? I seem to recall all of the umps huddling up a few times this week (and taking as much, if not more, time than replay would) and still botching numerous calls.

And, in your system, why would the crew chief have the final say if he didn't have the best view?

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

They need to go to 5-man crews, with one guy cycling indoors for a replay gig every five days. Only for HR disputes.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Just tell the players to get stronger, so they can hit it farther.

No disputes then.

:D

Draft saved Draft deleted