1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do the ACT and SAT profile athletes differently?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt Stephens, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

http://coloradostate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1240570

So basically, one of Colorado State's RB top recruits from 2011 has recently been told by the ACT that it would not accept his score of a 23 because the last time he took the test he received an 18. He's now unable to qualify for CSU in the fall and will have to join the team in 2012.

I know this isn't unheard of, as the fear is someone else took the test for him, and it has happened to other athletes before, but my question is, do the committees of the ACT and SAT look at potential athlete scores differently?

I only ask because I remember my second time taking the ACT, I made a 5-point jump and no one raised any questions about it. Because I went to school for strictly academic purposes, was I looked at differently?

It seems like the results of the tests should be blind, other than referencing the taker's name in a database to make sure it doesn't go from a 17 to a 27, but if a name is well-known in an area and there's a big jump, is that human error?

I'm sure some of y'all made solid jumps when taking the ACT/SAT, did you have to retake it to prove your score?

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Re: Does the ACT and SAT profile athletes differently?

I believe ACT does not include math.

The ACT and SAT are private parties and can pretty much do whatever they want.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

ACT does include math.

4. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I can buy the 5-point jump. I remember the first time I took the test I didn't know what to expect and the timing portion really messed with me. Took it again and made a large improvement just because I had a better understanding of what to expect and how to pace myself.
    I under the cause for concern, but I can also by the jump. I would want to look at this kid's high school grades for comparison before making any final decisions.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

There is something smelling a bit off here.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I went from a 26 to a 24, but nobody threw out the 24.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the ACT folks probably have a lot of date to look at when someone jumps 5 points.

However, I got a letter in the mail yesterday from an ACT tutoring service that said that some kids improved their score 8 points and you would get free tutoring if you didn't jump at least 3.

8. lono

lono Active Member

Does the ACT and SAT profile athletes differently?

I don't know, does they?

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Yea, I had a grammar war in my head. I started the title as "do" then changed it to "does." #fail by me

Edit: and now changed it back

Draft saved Draft deleted