1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Sideline Reporters Actually Develop Information?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 10, 2021.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When I see a sideline reporter give information do they generally develop the information themselves? For example, when a sideline reporter gives an injury update is that information available in the press box and a producer feeds it to the reporter or do they actually get the information from the bench?

I would think most sideline reporters get their information from the producer but I am not sure (and it probably depends on the reporter) . I ask because I find sideline reporters to be annoying and superfluous.

And I admit many of you probably find me annoying and superfluous and I should be more empathetic but what the hell.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They're most useful when monitoring injuries on the sideline, simply reporting what they're seeing -- though I'm guessing they could eavesdrop better before COVID. They're least useful when they're delivering soliloquies like "I talked to Joe QB this week and he said the team is really coming together."

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

erin andrews information was always very well developed

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"On both sides," no less.

Draft saved Draft deleted