1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do people still . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Prince of Persia, Oct 26, 2006.

1. send thank you notes after the interview process? I was told by a journalism prof. in college you should absolutely do so, but he was really old school. I can't see it being a bad thing and I've heard of people doing it. Does it make you look any better? Would a simple email do, especially when you interview with about 5-6 for a particular job opening at a paper? And is the message as simple as, "thank you for your time and considering me for this position . . ."?

2. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I have after every job interview I've ever had, to every person I've intereviewed with at all those jobs. My lifetime batting average is 2 for 4 but one of those jobs that I did get was really, really good so my OPS is a bit higher.

Just keep a cheapo box of them on hand and do them right when you get home from the interview. Dear (blank), Thanks for taking the time to interview me for the jizz-mopping position. I found it especially interesting that (blank). Signed Prince of Persia. 39 cents. Out.

Of course, when I send out change-of-job announcements after I get a job, I make sure to send one to all the people that didn't hire me, just to let them know I'm on to bigger and better.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Definitely. I think it is a must. You never know when something like that is going to help you either get that job or just helps your rep if something else comes open even if you don't get the job.

4. That vision will now be in my head forever. Thanks Pooch!!

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Always. Send. Thank you. Notes.

Discretely write down the names of everybody you meet with, then do the notes as soon as you get home.

Do it, man.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that's key. I try to engage them with the note, show I'd been thinking about something they'd said and give them something of substance to keep me fresh in their minds.

Last interview I had was four or five years ago for a department head job, and I interviewed with seven people. I wrote notes to all of them, referring to something we'd talked about.

I think it can't hurt, even if you think you're not going to get the job.

7. carrie

carrie Active Member

Abso-fucking-lutely.

In this day in age when there are so many people of the same credentials vying for the same position, any little thing that makes you stick out counts.

8. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Depends on the interview.

I had one guy interview me and say, "I'm not sure what I'm supposed to ask you or talk to you about, so we can sit here and kill five minutes and talk about whatever you want."

At that point, had the feeling that I was just there to fill an interview slot and they already had their person to bring up.

So, no note.

9. e4

e4 Member

i went to a publishing course about books and mags a few years back and a human resources exec. from one of the big book publishing houses, i think it was knopf, said this: "there are people walking the streets who didn't get jobs because they didn't send thank you notes, and that was the only reason..."

sure newspaper editors are a different breed, but how can it hurt? it's a chance for them to see your name once more and a chance for you to highlight something positive from the interview

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fuck the thank you cards. if i'm flying you in, putting you in a hotel and feeding you, the least you can do is take me out to a strip club and buy 6-12 drinks that evening.

now that is a meaningful thank you.

<thank you cards from female applicants are perfectly acceptable, though.>

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Dude, I told you; once I wasn't given one of the slots for the free dinner, I didn't care if you were Michael Wilbon.
    Now, had we been eating at Shula's -- different story.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Common courtesy is never, ever wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted