1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do people really get cars for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm watching games over the long weekend and it seemed like there was more than one car commercial where husband surprises wife with the gift of a new car. She steps outside, and there it is, with a big red bow on it.

I can't recall that every happening in my neighborhood.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never seen or heard of it happening.

And that woman in the commercial doesn't deserve a car. She hung up on the dude.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Not in the world I live in.

I've always been partial to dump trucks, though.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I had an argument with a male friend of mine about this. I said any purchase that big should be discussed. He said that defeated the whole point of the gift. Course he also claimed that if he spent that much on a piece of jewelry, a woman would never know. I think he might just not be with it.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Hey baby, here's a new car for Christmas! It's a Lexus! You like it? Good, because now you've got to help pay the $200 extra a month on the payments! Merry Christmas! Love ya!"

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'd better.

:D

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

At least I could see out the rear sides of that car better than I can in my Sentra. God help anyone near my blind spot now.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My oldest sister had a Pacer as her first car. It was purple. Bought the thing for $75. I remember she filled the gas tank one time and couldn't get it to go more than 35 mph

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My first car (except its a '75 pictured, not a '74 like I had in 1990)

[​IMG]

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My grandfather bought my grandmother a new Crown Victoria in 1987. We kept her away from the window as he drove it from wherever he was keeping it and into their garage. We then told her that there was one more gift in the garage that was a little too big to fit through the back door. She thought it was a new dryer. She was very happy, probably as happy as I've seen her.

And yes, it had a big ol' red bow and ribbon on the hood.

So yes, it can and does happen. Whether it's feasable or reliable for most families, I couldn't tell you. But it was a pretty wonderful Christmas that year.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sure. Millions.

Draft saved Draft deleted