1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do more work for the same pay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hey, what's the worst they can do, make you work nights?

2. Taylee

Taylee Member

First, use your vacation. Donate enough time and they'll expect it. Happened when I worked in Gannett. Had three weeks, used maybe two. When I started using third week, got shit from some.
    Second, your current paper is an HR nightmare. If you're working more than 40 but putting down 40 there are two options. 1. You're doing it on your own because the summer is an easier time, that's bending the law a bit but tends to be acceptable. 2. Company is telling you to put down 40 when everyone knows you're working more, then a company audit (seen two of these) could be in the offing. At one, several hourly workers got a ton (one person about $10,000) of back pay.
    Finally, making everyone with more than three years salary is illegal if the people have no management responsibilities.
    Good luck.

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Anyone else see the blurb in latest edition of CJR regarding Time Inc.'s editorial jobs hack of like 167, and its profit margin is 18 percent? 18 FUCKIN percent, and Time felt it needed to cut 167 jobs.

4. Taylee

Taylee Member

I knew it was time to get out of Gannett when one SE wrote in the company magazine how his staff "managed" to put out an "award-winning" section with so few people in the department. First problem was that our paper had twice the circulation and had four fewer full-timers. I got past that, but the breaking point was when our publisher tried to keep that edition of the magazine from getting in our newsroom. This is the same publisher who wouldn't allow us to hire throughout the newsroom despite being budgeted for it.
    But he looked good in the new Audi every year.
    Did I say I'm glad to be out of Gannett?

5. Our execs drove Beemers and Lexus(es?) ...

IGQ: KR's profit margin was hovering above 20 percent before it was sold ...

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Any publisher who drives an Audi has Bush League written all over his seersucker suit and bowtie.

Probably thinks it's cool to be heard ordering a Rob Roy.

Draft saved Draft deleted