1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do modern times require larger fields?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hammer Pants, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I was just skimming the College Basketball II thread and started wondering again whether modern sports, especially football and basketball, need larger fields. Players like Dirk Nowitzski and KG and Kevin Durant are becoming less unique, and football players at every position are unbelievably huge. I think it's completely logical to at least consider widening and lengthening football fields and basketball courts. Wouldn't it naturally beautify both sports, or at least unclog the playing fields?

As kids get older, the size of both the playing field and the ball (and the goal height in basketball) all grow ... wouldn't it make sense to consider the same for today's year-round trained, chemically-altered athletes?

I've spoken with several college coaches who wouldn't mind larger fields, and a few of them said it needs to happen soon. I'm not sure it has to happen, but don't we have to at least consider it at this point?

2. markvid

markvid Guest

I wish the NHL would go to international ice size, but it'd mean losing seats in arenas.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

So?

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Revenue goes down.
    Never happen, then.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Do you say that out of a dislike for hockey or because you think owners should suck up the revenue loss to make for a more open game?

6. markvid

markvid Guest

I see his point, but I think that's the only thing that would hold this up.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I don't doubt the potential of the point. I'm just wondering if it's being offered because he doesn't care about hockey. Don't know Guy all that well, to be honest. Which is why I asked.

8. statrat

statrat Member

Basketball needs to go to the international key...and eliminate that damn "no charging" circle in the NBA.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Sorry, neither. It was a apparently poorly executed crack about empty hockey arenas. Ignore me.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Why do I feel like I'm watching an All-Sport commercial from ten years ago?

Keep the fields, courts, rinks as they are. No need for them to be Tiger-proofed.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Football -- hardly.

Basketball -- doubtful. No reason to change an entire sport to cater to a hundred NBA giants.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

For basketball, this isn't a new idea. Sport Illustrated's 1986 preview issue had a story on the "incredible shrinking court" with Walton, McHale and another Celtic whose identity escapes me posed towering over a miniaturized court. For you Met fans, that was the issue with Ray Knight on the cover.

Draft saved Draft deleted