1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do kids need immediate access to cell phones during school hours?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What you have to realize is that most of these ideas would involve a major change of culture that would be fought by parents as well as students. The time for plans like these was a while back, and all of the schools missed it.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I had no clue that kids text each other during class now. I guess I'm naive. I would think that cell phones would be forbidden in the classroom. Seems from this thread that their presence is accepted. Keep them in your locker. I remember as a senior in high school accidentally keeping my pager in my pocket, and being scared shitless the teacher was going to somehow see a flash of it at some point and I was going to be marching down to the principal's office.

Oh, and the idea that they should be allowed in class because of "all the school shootings" is a little silly. Complete overreaction.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We should just abolish school to keep kids safe from school shootings and bullying.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wonder if the parents homeschooling their kids have the same problem?

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Home-school kids don't text.
    Texting requires that you have a friend who can receive the text.

6. Dick Whitman

They have lots of problems.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Homeschooled kids, in my experience, are better behaved and better adjusted than the majority of their public-schooled peers. It's not for everyone, but is certainly a good option for many.

8. Dick Whitman

Plus, where else could you get to watch episodes of "The Flintstones" in history class?

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I subbed for two years, and I'm still the faculty adviser for a HS newspaper, and cell phones are by far the biggest annoyance. The school I was in had a pretty "no tolerance" policy - If you had the phone out, you got one warning to put it away. Second time, it was confiscated for the day. Two violations in a year, and your parents are called.

Someone mentioned that kids should be able to use their phones to text during lunch, but even this creates big problems. Think about it this way - Who would they be texting at lunch? Not anyone in lunch; they're texting their friends who are still in class, and disrupting classes that are going on.

The kids will use pretty much any argument to justify using them, from the Columbine thing (let's justify a constant nuisance with something that happens about one a year across thousands of schools) to "I'm texting my mom about a ride after school." The worst part is when they actually are texting the parents, and the parents get indignant that you would dare limit their ability to talk to their spawn during school hours. The buses at this school don't even leave until 10 minutes after the bell, so there is plenty of time to negotiate rides and what not after school.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Is there a school anywhere that still has lockers?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This guy says he has friends, dammit!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I haven't seen one without them.

Draft saved Draft deleted