1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do I really move that slowly?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This afternoon, I was in a store, buying a soda and a notebook. As I got my wallet to get the money to pay for it, a guy comes from behind me, puts a Snickers bar on the counter, asks how much it is, pays for it and says to me "Sorry, but I have to be in Fall River in two hours."
    I replied "Am I really that slow?"
    He said "I gotta move fast." as he went out the door and got into his landscaping truck.
    Now I don't know too much about landscaping. Maybe it is a fast-paced, deadline-driven line of work, though I never thought of it that way. Even if it is, the most I could have held him up was 10-20 seconds. If he ended up being late for something on my account, the most it would have been was 10-20 seconds and I doubt any harm would have been done, but maybe I'm wrong. Have people really been shitcanned for being 15-20 seconds late?
    Who was more rude, this guy for cutting me or me for moving too slowly while paying for something? Could I have really been THAT slow?

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Did you have coupons? Were you the woman ahead of me in the express line at Albertson's yesterday with about FORTY F'ING ITEMS? If not, no, this guy was just being an asshole. Especially since 30 seconds one way or the other won't make any difference on a two-hour drive. Especially when you're doing it in a landscaping truck.

3. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

No, landscapers are just assholes.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You should have tripped him "accidentally" on his way out. He was clearly the dick in this exchange.

The clerk is nearly as big a dick for letting the dude get away with it. He's got to control that situation.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not that I disagree with you, but a person making 7.50 an hour rarely "controls the situation".

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

taters, this is one of my pet peeves.

I fucking hate it when I'm still putting the change in my wallet, picking up my stuff and the person behind me is dumping their shit on the counter and sidling.

This transaction will take less than a minute. Wait your fucking turn.

None of you have places you need to be that bad.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And if you do, you're screwed. Because the minute you start getting all up in my shit like that, I'm slowing down as much as humanly possible just to piss you off even more.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hadn't thought of that. Next time, I see the perfect opportunity to ask that all my items be individually double-bagged.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Your problem came from buying a "soda"...

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If that's the case, who's going to design my pages? :D

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

A lot of times I'll plunk down a dollar or two quarters for a newspaper or two and walk out while the clerk handles other people. Hope that doesn't make me a dick. Nobody has ever seemed to mind before.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The guy didn't even have exact change, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted