1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do championships have an expiration date?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Incorrect. If you go by that logic, then there is no reason to play any sport at all.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would argue that the 1985 Bears are the best team of my lifetime.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Blue Jays have spent a lot more time over the past few years reliving their back-to-back World Series than their fans have.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's a Toronto thing, obviously, given the way the Leafs celebrated the 40th anniversary a few years ago of the 1967 Cup winners.

Wouldn't it be nice if teams put more effort into building new championship teams instead of commemorating dubious milestones? "Forty years since this team really mattered!! All RIGHT!!!"

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And I would argue that you are wrong. Bubbler nailed it. The 1984 49ers were probably better. They just had their one loss earlier in the season than the '85 Bears did. (I still don't know how that 49ers team lost to a Steelers team that had such a crappy secondary).

6. Mizzougrad96

I'm a die-hard Niners fan and I respectfully disagree. I would probably go 1. 1985 Bears; 2. 1989 Niners (Seifert's first team); 3. 1984 Niners.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Skol, Vikings!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not much chop on Lake Minnetonka that night....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you are into the fan-on-fan razzing thing, then you have to at least acknowledge that there's no logic or consistency to it, it's just for fun.

10. Mizzougrad96

Tell that to SEC fans.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are underrating your boys, then, though I can see putting the '89 team ahead of '84.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I like Bill Simmons' idea of a five-year grace period following a championship. Your team wins a championship, you don't get to complain about the team, players, or the franchise's direction for five years. Similarly, no one can give you grief about your team's lack of a championship for five years.
    Five years seems about right. That's just enough time to enjoy it, and right about the time you look up and realize, "Wait, why haven't we won another one since then?"

Draft saved Draft deleted