1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do as I say, not as I do: Example 3,493

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, Aug 3, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is a wonderful topic. As is its sidebar.
    I wish there were more of these threads.

2. I think we ought not to give a damn about "knowledge protection."

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

It's not just the lack of transparency shown to the outside world. It's the hypocrisy of assembling a newsroom full of inquisitive, even skeptical minds, encouraging them to aggressively question any and all that they find around them professionally, but then expecting them to shut up and follow managers' orders and company policies, as well as swallow silently on staff, space and expense cutbacks. The foundation of what we do is discourse, debate, seeking of various sides to an issue. Then, back at the office, all of that must get shut off as if a switch got flipped.

Everyone knows bosses are going to do what they're going to do, and no amount of questioning from the grunts likely will change that. But it's all about the bosses' insecurities that they want (allegedly) bulldogs on the street but lap dogs in the office.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ponder this. For the last four months, I've been working at an electronic database publishing firm. My job is some rungs below management. The CEO makes it a point that everybody is kept as well informed as possible about the company. I have received 100 times as much information as to how the place works as I did in 20 years at the Herald, where everything was a secret.
    My new place is growing and prosperous. The Herald is not. I don't think that's a coincidence.
    Bad management loves secrecy. It's an inherent trait of the self-important and incompetent.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Fair points. But, I think we're comparing apples and ocra.
    Having a well-informed workplace and mandating confidentiality at severance are two different beasts.

Draft saved Draft deleted