1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DMN update

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jps, Aug 27, 2006.

1. According to the threads here last summer, it was the interns and two SEs at the wrap-up brunch.

2. When the Spartans were surprised by a neighboring invader, the Spartan King would select a few fierce warriors and form a suicide squad that would meet the enemy at the shore and hold them off long enough for the Army to muster and march into battle. The thing is the King would lead the squad into battle, perishing himself.

Yates is the guy that would send everybody out before him. What a cockbite...he should be the first to go.

Had a chance to compare sections this morning, and no doubt the Star-Telegram is now the better paper.

Hate to see some of these guys go....No. 1 on my list is Joe Jansen..."Cheeks" is a great editor. Creative guy and fair.

Dennis Hall was strong as well. Good for him on potentially getting his own gig.

3. Yates is a miserable excuse for a human being.
    He went off on an intern once. Turned out his father was editor of paper in Lexington, I believe. It was when Yates was the bobblehead doll for Smith. Yates was busted to working desk, and had to go through a temper tantrum seminar. It didn't work, but he somehow resurfaced and wound up in charge. He deserves as much blame as possible for what has happened because he has no original ideas, no personality and no ability to go in and lobby for his people. He'd sell anyone down the river for his own benefit. As for Cowlishaw, he was not offered a buyout. He was deemed to valuable to the paper.

4. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Don't know a lot of folks at the DMN any more, but Roxanna is class. Any word on their recruiting writer Todd Wills or Cameron Maun? Those are about the only ones I know there now.

5. jps

jps Active Member

Editorial cartoonist wasn't quite accurate. It was late. Sorry. I think more accurate would be Artist/Page designer. At least I think that's what he's doing there -- Randy Bishop, I mean.

Few other names I've heard are Laura Beil, Harriet Blake, Terri Blount, Robert Dodge, Bill Lodge, Lois Reed, Vernon Smith ... it's bad, bad, bad.

6. jps

jps Active Member

Interesting ... heard Cowlishaw had been offered. But you 'hear' all sorts of stuff about this place right now. Just to add to it, though, I'd also heard he was looking already anyway.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Always thought of him as a poor man's Dave Hyde.

8. zman82

zman82 Member

never was a clownisha fan...if blackistone is gone that's too bad. he was one of my favorites in high school and college.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Word is that Cowlishaw hoped to take the buyout so that it would ease his move to ESPN.com. He and Blackistone, apparently, weren't offered the buyout.
    In addition to Cowlisahaw, Blount and Dwayne Bray are headed to ESPN.com
    Everything said here about Yates is spot on. But, hey, he's a suit. He'll be fine.

10. Blackistone is fine as long as he can sit at his desk, ready the wires and find something to rewrite. heaven forbid he would actually go to an event and get a fresh idea or research something on his own.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

A lot of factors contributed to the demise of the DMN, but Yates' unfortunate ascension was a big one.

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

anyone know if the great noel nash is moving on as well?
    heard he was espn bound. I think he was some kind of editor.

Draft saved Draft deleted