1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DMN buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ARD, Jun 24, 2006.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

So why is the Star-Telegram avoiding all the massive cuts? (Belo, I know, had some internal corruption that led to the first sweep). But the S-T just sent Gil LeBreton to the World Cup. Tight budget management doesn't do that in hardly a soccer haven. I'm guessing LeBreton was doing work for the McClatchy family too.

But seriously....how have they survived those cuts?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Is it possible that the Star-Telegraph is simply a better managed business than the DMN?

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

DMN also has a writer covering the World Cup.
    FWST? My guess is they're making a bit more cash and not weighed down by Belo's past transgressions and financial fumbles.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'm just curious about the person who came forth from the mountain after the last round of cuts and said he regretted how much turmoil the previous round of cuts had caused and how he was so certain the paper could do good journalism.

I'm sure that article or memo is still circulating.

Also, until the alleged watchdogs like E&P and Poynter stop sleeping and stop reacting to things like this after the fact, they'll keep happening. There's a definite credibility issue in the industry when it comes to the books and the people making the cuts, and very little is being said about it.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Sure is.

But try and write about it.

You'll find that the First Amendment is just a sham.

In a very small way, but yet a weakness in the infrastructure of this country that if you look hard enough, you'll see the domino affect of this cancer, we are in serious trouble.

And it ain't the Republicans or the Democrats.

It's the "RULING CLASS."

We're a South American country in a matter of years, if not already.

6. annoyed

annoyed Member

Keep in mind a few years back the S-T didn't cover the Stanley Cup finals, but sent a writer to the French Open. It's also possible that the sports department at the S-T is the only department that hasn't faced cuts or tightening. The other departments run a lot leaner than sports. And, covering the World Cup/soccer might fall under some old K-R style diversity plan.

7. boots

boots New Member

Yeah, the plan is called spending money and influencing people.

8. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Interesting discussion here.

A few thoughts -
    1. Could the S-T simply have a better product when it comes to its sports section?
    2. Will the S-T/DMN battle be renewed through trying to get more readers on their websites?
    3. What will be the result in terms of readership if the DMN loses some more notable writers?

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The DMN doesn't have any notable writers.

10. greenie

greenie Member

Then it must have a bunch of unbelievable editors, because it sure wins a ton of APSE awards every year.

And, please, show me a better NFL writer than Goose Gosselin, who was notable enough to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame a few years back.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Not as many APSE awards lately, pal.
    Gosselin is a top-notch NFL beat man/reporter. But one of many DMN staffers who rarely get above the .500 mark.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

DMN sent Steve Davis to the World Cup this year (they did not send him in 2002 to Korea — probably because of the out-of-whack game times.)

I have noticed that they are giving World Cup a lot more play this time — and still are, even with Team USA out, the Mavs not even a week removed from the NBA Finals, and the Rangers a half-game out of first.

So who gets the ax at the DMN this time? Since Belo hammered sports last time, do they go easy on it this time and target other departments?

(It's been almost two years, but I still think it's horseshit that people have to pay with their jobs just because people on the 13th floor got jiggy with circulation figures and Belo made, say, onloy 18% profit instead of 30% or whatever.)

Draft saved Draft deleted