1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DMN buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ARD, Jun 24, 2006.

1. ARD

ARD Member

Via Romenesko: http://dallas.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2006/06/19/daily42.html

Buyouts looming at Dallas Morning News

The Dallas Morning News plans to offer buyouts to 50 or more employees as it restructures its news operation to focus more heavily on the Internet, sources familiar with the newspaper's plans said.

At least one source familiar with the newspaper's plans said the potential employee reductions likely will be much higher than 50.

2. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Man, that's pretty sad if it's true.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

That's total bullshit. Adding new products....cutting jobs. If you cut your manpower, just how the flying fuck do these people think the product improves?

Sonofabitch bastard accounting suckholes to the CEO. And I don't even work at the soon to be shithole.

4. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Who says they're worried about the quality of the product?

5. Makes me feel good about not accepting a prep gig there last year.

6. boots

boots New Member

Dallas just went through an upheaval a few months back. And unfortunately, this is going to start the down-sizing trend again. Hold on tight gang. it's going to get ugly.

7. occasionally

occasionally Member

October 2004 to be exact. If you recall, they let Gary West, their horse racing writer, go -- three days before the Breeders' Cup at Lone Star Park. Gary's now doing quite well, thank you, at the Star-Telegram.

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Belo-owned Riverside just made a bunch of cuts a few months back. I want to say in the 80-90 range.

9. boots

boots New Member

I feel a tremor in the force.

10. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Of what magnitude? What's a safe size for a sports staff at a major metro like the DMN?

11. boots

boots New Member

No layoff is a appreciated. I just know that once one the big boys start triming down, the little guys follow suit.

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Morale at the DMN is at an all-time low.
    One of the people cut loose in 2004 was editorial cartoonist Bill DeOre. He hasn't been replaced. Anyone else think that a paper the size of the DMN should have its own editorial cartoonist. DMN still runs ed cartoons, but they're all syndicated. The most local guy that they use is syndicated out of Austin paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted