1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DMN ... Backwards Score Giver

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mr. Bat, your lede is buried. How about the main hed: Hussein sentenced to death in Iraq. I thought maybe they had moved the trial to Texas or something.

3. Football_Bat

Yeah, I cringed at that too.

I thought the DMN was trying out the British style of score-giving where the home team is first win, lose or draw, but that doesn't work because the game was at FedEx.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Except within Texas, change is all around. </wapo editor>

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Former
    DA in sex
    sting kills
    himself

Does the split on this one bother anyone as much as it bugs me?

6. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

As a takeoff on the WaPo headline thread, perhaps it should have read:

In Iraq, Hussein sentenced to death.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Yup.

What about:

Former DA
    in sex sting
    kills himself

However, I'm assuming that's too wide for one column.

8. Football_Bat

Looking at the layout, all you had to do is widen the rightmost column a pica or maybe two at most and the hed would've fit fine. The Saddam centerpiece (24 hours hold by the time it hit your porch) would've dominated the page regardless.

But I couldn't fight through the backwards score (so, moddies, please don't banish this to the design thread.)

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Methinks they still believe that if it doesn't happen in Texas, then it doesn't happen. :p

And the backwards score makes me cringe as I think of goofy volleyball coaches state-wide.

Coach: "Yes, I have the results of Podunk's volleyball game against Misfitz. It was 5-25, 25-10, 10-25."

Me: "Um, so Podunk lost?"

Coach: "Yeah, we had them, too. The girls tried so hard, but they left it all on the court."

Me: ???

10. The news side of the DMN apparently has a lot of fans still in denial over that last play. Score probably wasn't written by a sports desker. They have too much pride to reverse the score like that.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

My thoughts, too. Some designer/copy editor/hed writer has the dirty hands on that one. Probably a mom who also calls in her kids game scores the same way.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We had a guy on the newsroom copy desk write an A1 teast for one of the nearby universities (which he attended) that said:

Local U 21
    Non-local U 42

We told him that was wrong but he said the local team always goes first. We also had a sports columnist once write "Podunk High lost 5 to 3 in baseball ..." Nice, eh?

Draft saved Draft deleted