1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dixie Carter of Designing Women fame dies at age 70

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I always wonder why families try to keep info like that private.
    The lack of a statement leads people to wonder if it's something nefarious. Don't see how that does anybody any good.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Do you really think people heard about Carter and assumed it was drugs or something. She was 70, which isn't old by today's standards, but it doesn't scream scandal like most celeb deaths.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

There are still plenty of people of a certain age who think a diagnosis like that (or prostate cancer amongst men) is still one of those things that must be kept quiet. As if it's shameful or contagious, just because of where the cancer invaded the body part. But the more it's reported and talked about, the more people are likely to tell their doctors about it when they suspect something wrong.
    And my goodness, endometrial cancer in young girls is not that rare and prevents them from having children, and needs to be caught early!

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Maybe it wasn't shame and just the fact the family was grieving and didn't want to deal with the media. Sure, they've got agents and probably PR people to do it. But maybe in this time of great sadness, the family just didn't want to mess with it.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I was going to note "she had a nice rack" and let it go but, well, this about sums it up. Nice work, BigDog.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Mary Ann Mobley, former Miss America and now married to Gary Collins of Hour Magazine fame ...

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This fucking killed me. Well played. Nothing wrong with Jean Smart or Julia Duffy, either, or the early Delta Burke.

I think I was the only 8-year-old boy watching DW regularly. My early age was probably the only thing stopping me from "cuffing out a few quarts" as BigDog so eloquently put it.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You watched me regularly when you were 8? Thanks for making me feel old!

Anyhoo, I thought Jean Smart was the most attractive. Prurience-wise, Annie Potts was a bit too prim, and Dixie Carter a bit too domme. Delta Burke's personality turned me off, and Julia Duffy was in the middle of her post-Newhart show-hopping.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Bringing this conversation into the sports world, when Chamique Holdsclaw took a leave of absence from the Washington Mystics several years ago for "private" reasons and she and the team were stonewalling any attempts to find out what the reason was, a lot of people had wild ideas what the reason was. I actually thought she was diagnosed with HIV. Weeks later, she finally admitted she was suffering from depression.

I know that different people handle cancer differently and handle different types of cancer differently, but besides families having to deal with the initial grief of losing their loved one or the shock of a diagnosis for something terminal, the cry for privacy really doesn't help matters much.

I'm as private a person as it gets, and yet, I went public with my cancer diagnosis. I tell people I'm a cancer survivor more readily than I tell them I'm gay.

10. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Kate and Allie, then Designing Women. Play your cards right, you can rip off three rounds by the first time Anthony cockblocks a perfectly good scene.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Speaking Kate and Allie - Jennie and Emma were the Ginger and Mary Ann of my teenage years.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

When the redhead later showed up as Leo's daughter on The West Wing, it blew my mind ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted