1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dixie Carter of Designing Women fame dies at age 70

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Apr 11, 2010.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Dixie Carter, who played the witty Julia Sugarbaker on the popular series "Designing Women" died this morning at age 70.

She was survived by her husband, actor Hal Holbrook.

Loved that show and the opening theme, which was a jazzed up version of "Georgia on My Mind."
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/11/entertainment/main6384164.shtml

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Was a great foil to Delta Burke in the early years of Designing Women, but then, as with Alan Alda in M*A*S*H, she became a great righter of wrongs, much to the show's detriment. Last thing I remember her doing was Yellow Pages commercials. R.I.P.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the early years of designing women were gold

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I nearly forgot that she played Bree Van De Kamp's evil mother-in-law on "Desperate Housewives." She tried to kill Bree, ended up suffering a stroke during the struggle, and Orson confined her to the hospital. Carter was nominated for that 7-episode role.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I liked Designing Women because it was the rare sitcom that was about something, it had characters that seemed to live in the same world we lived in. Thought they could have crafted a better foil for the ladies, than the sexist/issue of the week that they all spouted off on. RIP Dixie - and stay strong Hal.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You are exactly right. The interesting thing is Carter was a Republican and didn't like where the writers took the character.

RIP to a fine lady of the South.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, the show's creatorrs were big-time FOBs

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I remember when they co-starred in an earlier short-lived sitcom called "Filthy Rich," which was kind of a parody of "Dallas" and "Dynasty" and the like. RIP.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

RIP to a fine Southern lady and actress. She was great on the show. Condolences Hal.
    I enjoyed the episodes of Designing Women when Lewis Grizzard was on as their brother.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Never watched one episode of Designing Women or Evening Shade or any of those FOB type shows. My loss, I suppose. RIP.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

"And that... was the night the lights went out in GEORGIA!"

The early years of Designing Women were a total scream to watch. She was great on Housewives and in pretty much everything else she was in. RIP.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Anyone know if she was sick? Wonder why the publicist didn't disclose where she died or cause of death? 70 isn't "died of natural causes" age, is it?

Draft saved Draft deleted