1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Division III powerhouses and streaks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Varsity845, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Varsity845

Varsity845 New Member

Colleagues ... I'm looking to put together a list of Division III schools that have long postseason tournament appearance/win streaks or are generally regarded as powerhouses in their sport - all sports included - to accompany a feature we're doing.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated so we don't overlook any biggies.

Post here or e-mail me: mpepin@th-record.com.

Thanks,
    Matt Pepin
    Times Herald-Record (Middletown, N.Y.)

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Mount Union, of course, in football. Two longest winning streaks in college football history: 55 and 54 games, so they won 109 of 111 games. They've won 10 national titles since 1993.

I'd throw in a shameless plug for the alma mater, St. John's football, and John Gagliardi, as a powerhouse, but they've never been lacking for publicity so there's plenty of info on them out there.

3. Fenix031

Fenix031 New Member

I'm gonna have to plug my alma mater here, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. In the last six or seven years alone they have national titles in football, volleyball and wheelchair basketball. I know they're regularly a contender in all the major sports. Certainly made my job a lot more fun working at the student paper.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Linfield College has 53 or 54 consecutive winning seasons in football, or something close to that.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

wheelchair basketball is a NCAA sport? that's awesome!

6. Small Town Guy

But they've stomped St. John's with regularity the last four years, so we shouldn't bring too much attention to them. Actually, for streaks, didn't Whitewater and Mt. Union become the first teams in NCAA history to play four straight title games against each other, at any level?

And the Linfield one is a good one too.

7. Small Town Guy

Kenyon men's swimming has won...29 straight national championships.

8. Varsity845

Varsity845 New Member

Thanks a lot guys ... keep 'em coming. Once I get a pretty good list together, I'll share with all for future use.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Marietta (Ohio) has been a power in baseball.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Trinity College in Hartford has had one losing season in 25 years. Recent league titles in 03, '04, '05 and 08

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Your UWW-MUC note is correct.

Also, Mount Union has an overall record of 125-4 in this decade and has won 139 of 140 regular season games dating back to the beginning of the 1995 season.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would take a look at Immaculata University's women's basketball team in the 1970s, but they might not qualify as DIII since they beat everyone, including DI for the "national title."

Draft saved Draft deleted