1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Division I Football playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jay_christley, Nov 25, 2006.

1. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

So, apparently, rather than do the right thing and have a Div. I tournament (four, eight, 16 teams - take your pick), they simply re-named the Division I-AA playoffs as the "Division I Football Championships."

Huh?

So we'll have an "NCAA Football Division I" champion. And a "Division I Bowl Championship Series" champion.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

2. BlacknGold

BlacknGold Member

Yeah, I never had even heard of this...and it doesn't make sense at all.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've heard of it, and most places (including AP) are still calling it I-AA. Fuck the NCAA.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There is the possibility the NCAA is creating a name to fill up if the BCS collapses in a greed-frenzy. Probably not, because that would indicate forward thinking, but it could be.

5. You know, if the NCAA actually had a strong, forward-thinking president - which it clearly doesn't and never will - it would create a Div. I-A playoff, and say, "Hey, if you don't like the bowls, we're gonna do this little thing." Maybe gradually, or perhaps within a year, the result would be either the implosion of the bowls or the merging of the bowls and a playoff that many suspect will happen within 10 years. Since the NCAA has no direct role in the playoffs, it's the opening the playoff proponents haven't really pursued.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Folks ... the name change came about because the commissioners of I-AA conferences like the Big Sky and Southern got sick of having all of their sports referred to as I-AA. I've actually seen stories where, for example, Illinois was playing I-AA Indiana State in basketball. So they just went to Division I bowl subdivision and Division I championship subdivision, as a subtle reminder that Montana is just as much as a Division I school as Missouri is.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Except in football.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A lot of people get confused on that. It's a common mistake...made by common idiots.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The AP may have never heard of it either.

Last night I was waiting on a game wrap of the Youngstown State-James Madison for front. Game was not on the state budget, but I just thought it was a simple oversight and not anything to be concerned about.

About an hour after the nationally televised game gets over, there's nothing moving. It's getting close to deadline and I call the state bureau to make sure the game is coming. I get the following response "We didn't know about it. It caught us by surprise."

The moved a piece of shit three-graph wrap shortly after the call. I was pissed. And they also waited until after midnight to move state high school football playoff wrap-ups.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No doubt, if only there were a real Division I-A tournament.

11. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Go Penguins! Really, there is good football in Northeast Ohio. Just don't look to that steaming pile of crap next to the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted