1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Division I-AA or FCS? Division I-A or FBS?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shotglass, Aug 19, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm trying to get a consensus here, because I'm not really sure which I want to use in our football section.

I know it's officially FBS and FCS now, but I'm wondering if using those will just confuse the readers.

Which way is your newspaper going?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Re: Division I-AA or FCS? Division I-A or BCS?

It's actually officially FBS and FCS now.

Football Bowl Subdivision
    Football Championship Subdivision

Yes, these confuse the readers. I'm using FCS in my stories dealing with my FCS team, but our two FBS writers are still using I-A/I-AA. Many of the coaches are still saying I-A/I-AA. The players are saying I-A/I-AA. It's a tough sell. Then you get the whiny fuckers on the FCS message boards that bombard you with e-mails and call you fucking retarded if you don't use the proper FCS designation.

I hate the NCAA.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Re: Division I-AA or FCS? Division I-A or BCS?

Not that I'm in a position where I'll be covering much college football this fall, but I'd go with Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) and Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) on first reference to stories this season. By next year, most people should know what the FBS and FCS are. Though they could have given them more distinctive acronyms.

4. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

The only thing that pisses me off is that a conference has eight to 16 teams, a division has four to eight teams and somehow a subdivision has all the teams. It would make so much more logical sense for it to be Bowl League and Playoff League, but I don't make the decisions. The NCAA does. And that's why it doesn't make sense.

But I've been going with I-A and I-AA and probably will do through the rest of the year until people start to catch on. Mostly, I want to see what the TV guys do with it. If they adapt, then it's past the time for me to.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that's what I'd go with, though I might keep it for a few more years just in case some folks don't keep up with the times.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I say I-AA and I-A myself. That's what we've all gotten used to, and a new name is only designed to confuse and make the small schools sound more important than I-AA does.

7. Keystone

Keystone Member

Has AP officially changed the style? The guy who makes that call in my newsroom says to stick with I-A and I-AA until we get a notice from AP saying different.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Screw the NCAA and its weak attempt at political correctness.
    I-A and I-AA.
    It's similar to the argument you hear from schools/conferences not in the Bowl Championship Series. They don't like being "labeled" non-BCS. Well, folks, you is what you is. They can prefer to be called "non-automatic qualifiers" or somesuch, but non-BCS is a lot easier to write and for fans to understand.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I-A and I-AA. Subdivisions have houses, not football teams.

10. buzzerbeater

buzzerbeater Member

It's FBS and FCS. I don't like the change either. But those are the officials names.
    I also have stopped writing FBS (the former Division I-A) and FCS (the former Division I-AA). It's time to move on and use the correct terminology.
    Readers will catch on as long as we don't continue to use incorrect terms.

11. InTheSkeller

InTheSkeller Member

A "championship" team sounds like it's actually playing for something worthwhile at the end of the season.<p>
    <p>
    A "bowl" team sounds like it's just taking a vacation.<p>
    <p>
    Which one is supposed to be big-time, again?<p>
    <p>
    Maybe the NCAA will wake up and realize its new tags are having the opposite effect.<p>
    <p>
    Nah.<p>
    ???

12. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Here's the confusing part: the FCS teams have no chance at the BCS. That's for the FBS.

Draft saved Draft deleted