1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diversity at SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by broadway joe, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Um, Michael Silver? The white Jewish guy?

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think the next hire should be a nappy-headed transvestite ho.......

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Leave Scoop Jackson out of this... :)

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I think Knute was suggesting that Silver is black on the inside. In other words, he tries to act like a brother

5. this is a great hire by espn. ... i just hope he is used properly. ... espn is clueless about utilizing and managing black folks. clueless. but this is an outstanding hire.

6. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

I don't understand... How could Nunyo DeMasio leave (or get fired) after two months? And did we ever really hear why Steve Rushin exited?

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

1) The January/February SI bloodletting was "comprehensive."

2) Yes.

8. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

1. So they hire a guy, pay him a ton of money, ask him to move, then fire him two months later (and he doesn't even work for a newspaper, not even a Gannett one)?

2. Ok. So why?

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I'm pretty sure Demasio was there for at least a year, maybe a little more. As for Rushin, the way I hear it is that they wanted him to drop the column, write more features and do some stuff for the website. Rushin wasn't down with that, so both sides said bye-bye. From what I understand, SI didn't exactly bend over backwards to convince him to stay.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The popular feeling on Rushin is that SI knew he would refuse their request... In fact, they were banking on it...

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I see. That joke sailed right over my head.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Broadway Joe synopsizes it well. Nunyo had been there around a year, but was one of the last hires - and the calculus of a Time, Inc. layoff is unforgiving. As to Mr. Rushin, the original theads are here:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/37766/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/37927/

Draft saved Draft deleted