1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

District 9

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bad Guy Zero, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I searched and did not find any sign of a thread about this movie.

It opens tomorrow. Many theaters are doing 12:01am screenings tonight. I'm going to go to a 10:30am screening tomorrow.

I saw a poster for it a couple of months back and it seemed to really be pushing the fact that Peter Jackson is the producer. I like Peter's films but I'm not ready to go see anything just because he produced it or gave it a rave [learned my lesson after sitting through Cabin Fever].

But last weekend I was using the Flixster app on my G1 to find a showtime for a flick that Kitten and I were going to see. I decided to check out previews of some of the upcoming releases. I was psyched to see District 9 after viewing the trailer. Then to top it off the cover story of the latest Entertainment Weekly is about the film. I haven't read it yet as to avoid any potential spoilers.

There seems to be a small buzz around this film that's quickly turning into a blaze. I expect that it will the top money maker at the box office this weekend. Is anybody else planning on seeing this over the weekend?

You can watch the trailer here.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have high hopes. I have yet to see a truly great film this summer and I am hoping this is it...

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This movie looks like absolute crap. I feel sure it's going to suck, which is why I will not be watching it.

4. Mizzougrad96

You must be the only one who thinks so... I'm not even a big science fiction fan and I think this film looks amazing. The critics all seem to think it's the best film of the summer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Going tomorrow, have been waiting with much anticipation. Looks slick, with genuinely creepy aliens for once.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

District 9 this weekend and Inglorious Basterds next weekend. Good times.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Even the AP reviewer, who never likes anything, liked this one.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

A lot of the major reviews still to come, but it's running 97 percent on rotten tomatoes.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought the previews looked promising.

10. Mizzougrad96

We need this and Basterds to be great to save a bad summer...

There's a reason people are seeing The Hangover four times, almost everything else sucks...

If you had told me before the summer that Christian Bale would suck as John Connor and Johnny Depp would suck as John Dillinger, I would have told you that was not possible.

11. Mizzougrad96

Up might have been close to that, but usually there's only 1-2 films a year that are over 95 percent.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Also: Bad Guy Zero has the best avatar on the site right now. Hands down.

Draft saved Draft deleted