1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Distressing report on Paul Newman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No failure in commuicating that, homeboy. Just rewatched Cool Hand Luke a few weeks ago. Sharp as nails.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For the strength of his entire career, possibly the greatest actor American cinema has ever produced. Great in everything: swaggering macho adventure, touching drama, gut-busting comedy, heart-tugging romance, subtle character studies. Top to bottom, he's done it all.

And from all evidence, a very good guy personally as well.

Hoping against hope the story isn't true, but in all likelihood it probably is -- the time comes for every man.

And from the evidence of the story, he is facing the situation with dignity -- exactly the way we'd expect him to.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

When he goes, we need to have an honorary Slapshot thread.

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Can't believe there hasn't been a mention of "Cat On a Hot Tin Roof." Just freakin' brilliant in that, too.
    Is there an actor of the modern era — i.e., under the age of 50 — who could even hold the man's shades? I say ... no. Not even close.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

No one is even in the ballpark, eagle.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

was superb in "the hustler," a tremendous film. was just about tremendous in everything, including "butch and sundance" and "the sting."

he's led a brilliant life. deserves to go peacefully. at 83, i'd imagine he wouldn't want many tears shed when he dies. who's had it better than him?

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

There are certainly great actors out there, but none of them have Newman's persona, that's for sure.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Iconic in movies, iconic in auto racing. For my tastes, it just doesn't get any better than that. The day he goes will be a very sad one.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Hey Hannarhan!

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Your son looks like a fag to me. You'd better get married again, cuz he'll have somebody's cock in his mouth before you know it.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Iconic in organic foodstuffs and charity work as well. Mmmm, Newman's Own.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Corrected (as opposed to "fixed.")

Draft saved Draft deleted